From: Jacques Garrigue <garrigue@math.nagoya-u.ac.jp>
To: "Milan Stanojević" <milanst@gmail.com>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] polymorphic variants in match statements
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 10:21:43 +0900	[thread overview]

On 2012/01/24, at 9:53, Milan Stanojević wrote:

> Hi, we're trying to understand the type inference with polymorphic
> variants in match statements. This is a simplification of an actual
> case that happened in practice.
>
> 1)
> let f i a =
>  match i, a with
>  | true, `A -> `B
>  | false, x -> x
>
> fails with
> File "foo.ml", line 4, characters 16-17:
> Error: This expression has type [< `A ]
>       but an expression was expected of type [> `B ]
>       The first variant type does not allow tag(s) `B
>
> 2) changing false to _
> let f i a =
>  match i, a with
>  | true, `A -> `B
>  | _, x -> x
>
> this succeeds with
> val f : bool -> ([> `A | `B ] as 'a) -> 'a
>
> 3) changing x in (1) to _ , and using a on the right side
> let f i a =
>  match i, a with
>  | true, `A -> `B
>  | false, _ -> a
>
> this fails in the same way as (1)
>
> 4) finally adding another case to match statement
> let f i a =
>  match i, a with
>  | true, `A -> `B
>  | false, x -> x
>  | true, x -> x
>
> this succeeds with the same type as (2)
>

> So it seems there is some interaction between type inference and
> exhaustivnest of the match statements.
>
> Can someone shed some light on what is going on here?

Indeed. The basic idea is to close variant types when leaving them
open would make the pattern matching non-exhaustive.
Here, if we assume that a has type [`A | `B], then the pattern-matching
becomes non-exhaustive, so the type inferred is just [`A]
(i.e. the list of all constructors appearing inside the patterns at this position).

Actually, the theory is a bit more complicated, and the full details are
in the following paper, but you should just expect the above behavior
in practice.

	Typing deep pattern-matching in presence of polymorphic variants.
	http://www.math.nagoya-u.ac.jp/~garrigue/papers/index.html

Note that there is also another way to make (1) type, without adding
new cases

  let f i a =
    match i, a with
    | true, `A -> `B
    | false, (`A as x) -> x;;
  val f : bool -> [< `A ] -> [> `A | `B ] = <fun>

Here we have removed the connection between a and the output,
allowing `A to be combine with `B without changing the type of a.

Hope this helps.

Jacques Garrigue