* gprof timing
@ 2008-06-30 23:01 Mike Lin
From: Mike Lin @ 2008-06-30 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml

I'm profiling an ocaml program with gprof on an AMD64 linux machine - does
anyone know what to do when the runtime it's reporting (i.e. bottom of the
"cumulative seconds" column) is much much less than the actual runtime
(10-20% of it)? Is this normal somehow?
I've compiled everything with the right flags as far as I can tell, the
program isn't I/O or swap bound and there is nothing else CPU-intensive
running on the machine. The runtime of the program is not much slower with
profiling on than otherwise -- certainly not by an order of magnitude. The
profile that comes out more or less makes sense (i.e. highly intensive
functions appear at the top of the flat profile) except all of the real
times reported seem to be scaled down.
-Mike