On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 3:15 AM, Tim Rentsch wrote: > > I > have, to the best of my understanding, a legal right to use material > from the joint work in the way that I'm using it. While I am fully aware that a public argument over this among poorly-informed non-lawyers is possibly counterproductive and certainly unhelpful, now I'm curious :) Many people involved with OSS are familiar with the rough contours of copyright law as it applies to "derivative works", but perhaps less familiar with how it applies in cases of disputes between co-authors (if that is how you are framing the situation). So to make your case "in the court of public opinion", I think the above statement is what really needs a detailed justification. All the other issues raised in the recent lengthy missives from both parties are chaff by comparison. On a superficial scan of its contents, one might conclude that Tim's letter to your lawyer may have been written in implied confidence, and if that was the case then an outside observer might find it somewhat distasteful to post it like this. Could your perhaps clarify the circumstances of that, as well? Mike Lin