* RE: [Caml-list] Cygwin ocaml crashes
@ 2001-04-23 16:49 Dave Berry
From: Dave Berry @ 2001-04-23 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mattias Waldau, wester, caml-list

My experience of Cygwin, when working at Harlequin, is that it was very
flakey.  New versions would fix earlier bugs but introduce new ones, and
versions would be incompatible.  I was rather hoping that this would have
improved by now.  We ended up keeping a known working version stored
locally, and always using that, if necessary patching it ourselves.
Fortunately this was all for internal tools, and we never had to worry about
distributing them.

Is it possible for INRIA to distribute the exact version of Cygwin needed
for OCaml?  I remember Cygwin having fairly nasty licensing restrictions.

From: wester @ 2001-04-23 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

I downloaded the CYGWIN version of OCaml301 and started the
toplevel in Emacs. But when using an undefined value (what occasionally
happens) the program crashes. See below the Emacs output of ocaml:

        Objective Caml version 3.01

# 1+2;;
- : int = 3
# let f x = x*x;;
val f : int -> int = <fun>
# f 3;;
- : int = 9
# g 3;;
      0 [main] ocaml 129 handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
  47809 [main] ocaml 129 stackdump: Dumping stack trace to ocamlrun.exe.stackdump

Process caml-toplevel exited abnormally with code 232192

Is it possible to avoid this?

Rolf Wester