* [Caml-list] POSIX message queue implementation
@ 2015-06-30  5:37 Markus Weißmann
From: Markus Weißmann @ 2015-06-30  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

are there any libraries that implement/interface POSIX message queues? (mq_open(3), mq_close(3), mq_send(3), ..)
I only found one [1] -- for which there is neither an opam nor debian package (probably because of it's potpourri style).
And if there is no "standard" library, what would be the best library to push an implementation upstream to? (extunix, standard-lib, ..)

regards
-Markus

[1] https://github.com/jimenezrick/ocaml-backpack

--
Markus Weißmann, M.Sc.
Technische Universität München

* Re: [Caml-list] POSIX message queue implementation
@ 2015-06-30  5:50 ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2015-06-30  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Weißmann; +Cc: caml users

Extunix would be a reasonable choice (I also thought of Ocamlnet). I
would encourage you, however, to release a mq-specific library if you
can (possibly depending on one of those libs for helper functions; you
don't necessarily need to be self-contained). Many users are wary of
large monolithic libraries, and being a library of its own will allow
the features to be easier to search for in, say, the package manager.

@ 2015-06-30  7:57 ` Anil Madhavapeddy
From: Anil Madhavapeddy @ 2015-06-30  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Weißmann; +Cc: caml-list

On 30 Jun 2015, at 06:37, Markus Weißmann <markus.weissmann@in.tum.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> are there any libraries that implement/interface POSIX message queues? (mq_open(3), mq_close(3), mq_send(3), ..)
> I only found one [1] -- for which there is neither an opam nor debian package (probably because of it's potpourri style).
> And if there is no "standard" library, what would be the best library to push an implementation upstream to? (extunix, standard-lib, ..)

Rather than pushing it to one of the standard libraries, I would have a preference for creating a small ocaml-ctypes based binding and creating a standalone OPAM package instead.

The (various) standard libraries can then take the implementation if they choose to, or users can just pull it into their project with all the other dependencies.

-anil