From: Eray Ozkural <examachine@gmail.com>
To: "pierre.chambart" <pierre.chambart@laposte.net>
Cc: caml-list <caml-list@yquem.inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] AGI research using ocaml
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 17:48:49 +0200	[thread overview]

BTW, I think I left out an important implementation detail.

To implement Levin Search using ocs, I had to hack the ocs interpreter
so it counted Scheme Execution Cycles.

Kind of like a cheap runtime profiling. Could I use a cpu timer
instead? Yes, certainly, but I did that.

At any rate, I need to be able to terminate the execution of the
interpreter when a specific time limit is reached. In ocs, I threw an
exception when a cycle limit was reached. How should I do that when
using meta ocaml and what would give me the least overhead? Should I
use a timer interrupt? Would it work out at a nanosecond level?

Please excuse my ignorance. I've had a lot of trouble working on
absolutely obsolete C++ code for some not-so-useful research projects,
so I couldn't have much time to work on ocaml, I think I've forgotten
much :(

Best,

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 3:38 PM, pierre.chambart
<pierre.chambart@laposte.net> wrote:

> If I understand correctly the problem, that is generate code and execute
> it quickly, the best
> approach should be to use metaocaml. Moreover, your generated code will
> be type safe.
>
> http://www.metaocaml.org/
> and the new implementation is available here:
> http://okmij.org/ftp/ML/ber-metaocaml.tar.gz
> --
> Pierre

Eray Ozkural, PhD candidate.  Comp. Sci. Dept., Bilkent University, Ankara