From: "Török Edwin" <edwin+ml-ocaml@etorok.net>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Presumed bug in OCaml's garbage collector or in its Weak module...
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 22:41:25 +0300	[thread overview]

On 06/17/2016 09:09 PM, "Martin R. Neuhäußer" wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> after an intense week of debugging some large C-bindings, I presume to have found a bug in OCaml’s garbage collection code or in its Weak module.
> To summarize, it seems as if OCaml’s garbage collector and its Weak module sometimes release a custom block (by calling its finalizer) too early, i.e. when it is still reachable.
>
> I hesitate a bit before opening an „official“ issue on Mantis as I might very well overlook some detail. Therefore I’d like to double-check some of the assumptions that I have made when writing my C-stubs. Any corrections are highly welcome:
> 1. Custom blocks may be moved around in memory by the GC, but they are never duplicated.
> 2. The finalizer for each custom block that is allocated by caml_alloc_custom is called at most once.
> 3. The finalizer is never called for blocks that are still alive; stated otherwise, a block that has been finalized can never been presented as a value to a C-stub anymore.

Shallow copies don't seem very safe in the presence of out-of-OCaml-heap C pointers [*].
Perhaps Weak.get_copy should raise if it encounters a Custom_tag?

The custom value may contain C pointers, that may get invalidated or changed if the custom value has a finalizer (as in the testcase):
When the original weak value has no more references it gets the finalizer invoked, and gets garbage collected
 (in this case it changes unique_id to c_data_invalid_id, but it might as well free it instead causing a crash).

Meanwhile the copy made through Weak.get_copy still lives, and shares the copied custom value (pointer) from the weak value that got finalized.
Operations on the copied value (e.g. comparison/hashing) will try to access the custom value, which points to c_data_invalid_id.

> There is a small example program available on github: https://github.com/martin-neuhaeusser/ocaml_bug where the above assumptions seem to be violated.

[*] AFAICT a shallow copy is created by WeakDummySet.find -> Weak.get_copy

Best regards,
--
Edwin Török | Co-founder and Lead Developer

Skylable open-source object storage: reliable, fast, secure
http://www.skylable.com