* [Caml-list] ocaml-related job openings in Manhattan
@ 2004-02-09 23:13 Yaron Minsky
From: Yaron Minsky @ 2004-02-09 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I hate to spam the list, but I thought that an ocaml-related job
posting might be welcomed.  I run the (small) quantiative
research department at a trading company in New York City, called
Jane St. Capital.  We do some technically very challenging work
in analyzing and improving trading strategies used by the firm.
It's an open and informal environment, and one that I've
personally felt very comfortable moving to from academia.

We're looking to fill one or two assistant researcher positions.
All of our research code is written in ocaml, and so experience
in ocaml is a plus.  Here's the kind of skills I'm looking for:

   - Strong unix/linux skills --- I'm looking for someone who
     knows their way around the standard unix tools, can write a
     makefile, is comfortable with shell scripts, etc.  We've got
     a small beowulf cluster for doing more compute-intensive
     work, and administering that would be part of the job's
     responsibilities.

   - A well-rounded computer science background.  Familiarity
     with ideas from optimization, learning theory, NLP, and
     algorithms, is something we're looking for.

   - As part of the well-rounded CS background, we want someone
     with a strong background in programming languages other than
     ocaml, in particular C and Java/C#.

   - One of the positions we're looking to fill will involve
     taking a big role in testing some of the (non-ocaml)
     in-house software that is developed here.  We're not talking
     about bang-on-the-GUI-type testing.  We want someone with
     good judgment and the ability to write and think carefully
     about code.  The testing work will involve building testing
     systems including testing harnesses, simulators and
     validation code.  Some of this coding will be done in ocaml,
     some in other languages such as C#.

We are mostly thinking about these as entry-level positions, but
we are also considering more experienced candidates.  If you're
interested (or have any students you think might be a good match),
please send a cover-letter and resume to:

   recruiter3@janestcapital.com

Yaron Minsky

|--------/            Yaron M. Minsky              \--------|
|--------\ http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/yminsky/ /--------|

Open PGP --- KeyID B1FFD916
Fingerprint: 5BF6 83E1 0CE3 1043 95D8 F8D5 9F12 B3A9 B1FF D916

only message in thread, other threads:[~2004-02-09 23:13 UTC | newest]