* (no subject)
@ 2000-02-22 18:15 Benjamin C. Pierce
From: Benjamin C. Pierce @ 2000-02-22 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: skaller; +Cc: ohl, caml-list

Answering my own question...

  I've been told that statically linking Tk applications is not
  possible.  If you can tell me how to do it (ideally on both Unix and
  Windows) I'd be delighted to know: this is one of our biggest problems
  with distributing Unison at the moment.

>From talking to some more experts, the situation appears to be this:
Tk can be statically linked, but this doesn't help with portability
because when it starts the first thing it does is reads some Tcl
scripts.  So in any case you can't distribute a complete all-in-one
executable: users will have to install (the right version of) Tk to
run your program.

* Re:
@ 2000-02-23 15:09 ` skaller
From: skaller @ 2000-02-23 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin C. Pierce; +Cc: ohl, caml-list

"Benjamin C. Pierce" wrote:

> Answering my own question...
>
>   I've been told that statically linking Tk applications is not
>   possible.  If you can tell me how to do it (ideally on both Unix and
>   Windows) I'd be delighted to know: this is one of our biggest problems
>   with distributing Unison at the moment.
>
> >From talking to some more experts, the situation appears to be this:
> Tk can be statically linked, but this doesn't help with portability
> because when it starts the first thing it does is reads some Tcl
> scripts.  So in any case you can't distribute a complete all-in-one
> executable: users will have to install (the right version of) Tk to
> run your program.

You can install the scripts with your application.

--
John (Max) Skaller, mailto:skaller@maxtal.com.au
checkout Vyper http://Vyper.sourceforge.net

* OCaml and Tcl/Tk statically linked
@ 2000-02-23 18:23 ` Vyskocil Vladimir
From: Vyskocil Vladimir @ 2000-02-23 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin C. Pierce, caml-redistribution

"Benjamin C. Pierce" wrote:

> Answering my own question...
>
>   I've been told that statically linking Tk applications is not
>   possible.  If you can tell me how to do it (ideally on both Unix and
>   Windows) I'd be delighted to know: this is one of our biggest problems
>   with distributing Unison at the moment.
>
> >From talking to some more experts, the situation appears to be this:
> Tk can be statically linked, but this doesn't help with portability
> because when it starts the first thing it does is reads some Tcl
> scripts.  So in any case you can't distribute a complete all-in-one
> executable: users will have to install (the right version of) Tk to
> run your program.

I've build a tool which has TK statically linked and all the script part
put in it : I've put all tcl lib files into one (or more) C strings and
evalued them by a TCL interpret in the init part of the application (it
was done in a small C piece of code linked with OCaml),  it works very
well !

--
Vyskocil Vladimir
vyskocil@unice.fr