* Suggestion: Print more error messages?
@ 2000-05-12 17:01 Amit Dubey
From: Amit Dubey @ 2000-05-12 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

	Hi,

	I have a short question about error messages.  I've notived that
ocamlc will often quit after detecting the first error.  I find it much
more useful to get a number of errors (at least 3-6), even if some of
them may be spurious.  Is it possible to implement such behaviour?

Thanks,
Amit Dubey

* Re: Suggestion: Print more error messages?
@ 2000-05-12 17:30 ` Jean-Christophe Filliatre
From: Jean-Christophe Filliatre @ 2000-05-12 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amit Dubey; +Cc: caml-list

> 	I have a short question about error messages.  I've notived that
> ocamlc will often quit after detecting the first error.  I find it much
> more useful to get a number of errors (at least 3-6), even if some of
> them may be spurious.  Is it possible to implement such behaviour?

You don't really need such a feature, since the ocaml compiler is very
fast. Thus,  you can "recompile" and "next-error"  very often, without
wasting time waiting for the compiler (With slow compilers, like JDK's
java compiler, you really need such a feature!) And thanks to the true
separate compilation of ocaml's  modules, you only recompile few files
each time.

I agree that ocaml's native-code compiler may be quite slow sometimes,
but due to the consistency between the two compilers, you can developp
with the  bytecode compiler,  which is really  fast, and then  turn to
native-code when you are done with the development-phase and start the
test-phase.

However, I guess that there are also difficulties in finding more than
one error in a strongly typed language...

--
Jean-Christophe Filliatre
  Computer Science Laboratory   Phone (650) 859-5173

* Re: Suggestion: Print more error messages?
@ 2000-05-14 14:45   ` John Max Skaller
From: John Max Skaller @ 2000-05-14 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Filliatre; +Cc: Amit Dubey, caml-list

Jean-Christophe Filliatre wrote:

> I agree that ocaml's native-code compiler may be quite slow sometimes,

	I don't, and for once you may smile at my disagreement.
I use the ocaml native code compiler (optimised by itself) exlusively,
and I consider it lightning fast. On my Pentium 550E, I can compile
20 or some modules and interfaces in a few seconds.

	[It is ocamllex which is slow ... and has annoying
size limitations. Can these be fixed? Something even as simple
as a recognizer for UTF encoded ISO-10646 'letters' breaks
it, due to the large tables that are generated. Does it perform
character equivalencing (redundant column removal)?]

--
John (Max) Skaller, mailto:skaller@maxtal.com.au
checkout Vyper http://Vyper.sourceforge.net