* approx. performance of memory operations
@ 2005-11-22 10:01 dmitry grebeniuk
From: dmitry grebeniuk @ 2005-11-22 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello.

  I have a question about performance of memory operations.
  Let's assume that I know everything about current memory allocations
and GC state: count of root values, total count and size of allocated
values, current size and free space in old and young heaps, settings
of GC and sizes of all memory objects in the questions below.
  How much time and space (approximately, in O-notation) will consume
operations:
1) minor GC,
2) major GC,
3) allocation on young heap (if it really happens on young heap),
4) allocation on old heap,
5) assigning value X to mutable field of some value Y (in cases when:
   (a. X and Y are both on young heap,
    b. X and Y are both on old heap,
    c. X is on young heap, Y is on old heap,
    d. X is on old heap, Y is on young heap)
6) other operations that can consume time and space.

--
WBR,
 dmitry                          mailto:gds-mlsts@moldavcable.com

only message in thread, other threads:[~2005-11-22 10:01 UTC | newest]