* [Caml-list] opam package problem - can't install easy-format
@ 2013-02-22 11:41 Ömer Sinan Ağacan
From: Ömer Sinan Ağacan @ 2013-02-22 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

Sorry if I'm posting this to wrong mailing list ( do we have an opam
specific list ? )

I'm trying to install merlin package and it has easy-format as a dependency.

I'm using an up-to-date version of opam(just run `opam upgrade` few
minutes ago). Here is the output:

    ➜  ~  opam install easy-format
    The following actions will be performed:
     - install easy-format.1.0.1
    1 to install | 0 to reinstall | 0 to upgrade | 0 to downgrade | 0 to remove

    =-=-= easy-format.1.0.1 =-=-=
    The archive for easy-format.1.0.1 is in the local cache.
    Extracting /home/omer/.opam/archives/easy-format.1.0.1+opam.tar.gz.
    Applying easy-format-make.diff.

    [ERROR] while installing easy-format.1.0.1
      Application of patch
/home/omer/.opam/system/build/easy-format.1.0.1/easy-format-make.diff
failed, can not determine the '-p' level to patch.
      'opam install easy-format' failed.

Can anyone help ?

* Re: [Caml-list] opam package problem - can't install easy-format
@ 2013-02-22 11:46 ` Anil Madhavapeddy
From: Anil Madhavapeddy @ 2013-02-22 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ömer Sinan Ağacan; +Cc: caml-list

We'd appreciate it if you opened an issue up on:
http://github.com/OCamlPro/opam-repository

It's likely that you don't have the latest version of OPAM (0.9.3), since
patch handling was changed to make it more robust.  Do also let us know
the compiler version you are running with in the bug report.

The easy_format package does successfully build on Linux x86_64/ocaml4
in our autobuilder:

=-=-= Installing easy-format.1.0.1 =-=-=
Downloading
http://opam.ocamlpro.com/archives/easy-format.1.0.1+opam.tar.gz
.
Extracting /x/pkg_opro_remote_all4/compiler_system4-packages_easy-format/archives/easy-format.1.0.1+opam.tar.gz.
Applying easy-format-make.diff.
patching file Makefile
Hunk #1 succeeded at 6 with fuzz 1.
Applying meta-tpl.diff.
patching file META.tpl
Building easy-format.1.0.1:
  make
  make install
ocamlc -c easy_format.mli
ocamlc -c -dtypes easy_format.ml
ocamlmklib -o easy_format easy_format.cmo
touch bytecode
ocamlc -c easy_format.mli
ocamlopt -c -dtypes easy_format.ml
ocamlmklib -o easy_format easy_format.cmx
ocamlopt -I . -shared -linkall -o easy_format.cmxs easy_format.cmx
touch nativecode
echo "version = \"1.0.1\"" > META; cat META.tpl >> META

(etc)

@ 2013-02-22 12:08   ` Ömer Sinan Ağacan
From: Ömer Sinan Ağacan @ 2013-02-22 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anil Madhavapeddy; +Cc: caml-list

Thanks for quick response.

> It's likely that you don't have the latest version of OPAM (0.9.3), since
> patch handling was changed to make it more robust.  Do also let us know
> the compiler version you are running with in the bug report.

You're right. I was still using a beta version of it even though I run
`opam upgrade`. Now I installed 0.9.3 and installation worked fine.

Thanks again.

---

@ 2013-02-22 12:12     ` Anil Madhavapeddy
From: Anil Madhavapeddy @ 2013-02-22 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ömer Sinan Ağacan; +Cc: caml-list

On 22 Feb 2013, at 12:08, Ömer Sinan Ağacan <omeragacan@gmail.com> wrote:

>> It's likely that you don't have the latest version of OPAM (0.9.3), since
>> patch handling was changed to make it more robust.  Do also let us know
>> the compiler version you are running with in the bug report.
>
> You're right. I was still using a beta version of it even though I run
> `opam upgrade`. Now I installed 0.9.3 and installation worked fine.

OPAM doesn't upgrade itself, although we did flirt with the idea in the
early versions.  This will all cease to be a problem when the binary
packages start flowing (already the case in Arch Linux, and soon a PPA
on Ubuntu).

-anil

* Re: [Caml-list] opam package problem - can't install easy-format
@ 2013-02-22 12:25       ` Hezekiah M. Carty
From: Hezekiah M. Carty @ 2013-02-22 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anil Madhavapeddy; +Cc: Ömer Sinan Ağacan, OCaml

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 7:12 AM, Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@recoil.org> wrote:
> On 22 Feb 2013, at 12:08, Ömer Sinan Ağacan <omeragacan@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> It's likely that you don't have the latest version of OPAM (0.9.3), since
>>> patch handling was changed to make it more robust.  Do also let us know
>>> the compiler version you are running with in the bug report.
>>
>> You're right. I was still using a beta version of it even though I run
>> `opam upgrade`. Now I installed 0.9.3 and installation worked fine.
>
> OPAM doesn't upgrade itself, although we did flirt with the idea in the
> early versions.  This will all cease to be a problem when the binary
> packages start flowing (already the case in Arch Linux, and soon a PPA
> on Ubuntu).

Given this lack of support - what is the proper way to upgrade opam?
Does it require using a different opam root?  Is there an easy way to
dump the currently installed compilers + packages and easily ingest
this list into an upgraded opam?

Hez

* Re: [Caml-list] opam package problem - can't install easy-format
@ 2013-02-22 13:17         ` Anil Madhavapeddy
From: Anil Madhavapeddy @ 2013-02-22 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hezekiah M. Carty; +Cc: Ömer Sinan Ağacan, OCaml

On 22 Feb 2013, at 12:25, "Hezekiah M. Carty" <hez@0ok.org> wrote:

>>> You're right. I was still using a beta version of it even though I run
>>> `opam upgrade`. Now I installed 0.9.3 and installation worked fine.
>>
>> OPAM doesn't upgrade itself, although we did flirt with the idea in the
>> early versions.  This will all cease to be a problem when the binary
>> packages start flowing (already the case in Arch Linux, and soon a PPA
>> on Ubuntu).
>>

> Given this lack of support - what is the proper way to upgrade opam?
> Does it require using a different opam root?  Is there an easy way to
> dump the currently installed compilers + packages and easily ingest
> this list into an upgraded opam?

Just reinstall OPAM the same you installed it, and then 'opam update'
to get the latest packages, and 'opam upgrade' to perform the actual
update.

-anil