From: "Daniel Bünzli" <daniel.buenzli@erratique.ch>
To: David Allsopp <dra-news@metastack.com>
Cc: OCaml List <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Project hosting for new OCaml projects
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 21:00:40 +0100	[thread overview]

Le mercredi, 5 mars 2014 à 16:13, David Allsopp a écrit :
> It seems that the following are worth doing:
>
> * Support OASIS (and in so doing, I believe that will migrate its build
> system to ocamlbuild)
> * Support OPAM (which looks incredibly straightforward - being primarily a
> Windows user, the OPAM typhoon has flowed past me thus far)
> * Put the SCM online somewhere; submit a pull request for opam-repository;
> announce it

Since your build system is make and that you already have findlib support I wouldn't bother with oasis. Rather use an opam file directly for your package metadata and build instructions and put it at the root of your repository. This allows to robustly support opam pinning workflows which are useful for asking people to test fixes and making pre-releases.

Regarding the choice between github and the forge. I'd say if you want to be nice to potential contributors prefer github which has a decent user interaction. It's not without flaws, the graphs are generally useless, the pull request mechanism is broken (e.g. it completely muddies history with useless commits) and it's never good to rely on the free as in wine service of a company. If you already have some kind of web space where you can store and push git repos I'd suggest to use github only as a mirror (I can provide you with the steps to do so if you are interested) so that you can more easily switch to something else in case github becomes problematic --- as sourceforge became at one point.

Best,

Daniel