* HLVM
@ 2009-09-27 16:57 David McClain
From: David McClain @ 2009-09-27 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Wow! Thanks for that much more substantive feedback on HLVM.

I am not intimately familiar with LLVM. I am surprised that JIT can
offer speedups over statically compiled code.

And forgive me for asking what may seem a question with an obvious
answer... but now don't you also have to change the OCaml compiler
back end to target the HLVM?

Dr. David McClain
dbm@refined-audiometrics.com

* Re: [Caml-list] HLVM
@ 2009-09-27 17:07 ` Alp Mestan
From: Alp Mestan @ 2009-09-27 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David McClain; +Cc: caml-list

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 6:57 PM, David McClain <dbm@refined-audiometrics.com
> wrote:

> And forgive me for asking what may seem a question with an obvious
> answer... but now don't you also have to change the OCaml compiler back end
> to target the HLVM?

The current "example" provided with HLVM is a very minimal ML-style language
implementation. However, there was a Jane Street Summer Project proposal to
port OCaml's current compiler to HLVM/LLVM. It hasn't been accepted.

But if HLVM gets more complete and enhanced, yeah, it would require porting
the compiler to target HLVM/LLVM.

Regards.

--
Alp Mestan
http://blog.mestan.fr/

* HLVM...
@ 2009-09-27 22:09 David McClain
From: David McClain @ 2009-09-27 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

... remember too, in signal and image processing applications,
converting to raw machine integers and plowing ahead is often
counterproductive.

Rather we need saturating arithmetic to avoid abrupt transitions on
overflow conditions, or modulo addressing. Neither of these is native
to SSM, and have to be synthesized. DSP chips on the other hand almost
always offer these variations implicitly or explicitly.

@ 2009-09-27 18:06 David McClain
From: David McClain @ 2009-09-27 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Interesting quote from a Wikipedia article on JIT compiling...

"...For instance, most Common Lisp systems have a compile function
which can compile new functions created during the run. This provides
many of the advantages of JIT, but the programmer, rather than the
runtime, is in control of what parts of the code are compiled. This
can also compile dynamically generated code, which can, in many
scenarios, provide substantial performance advantages over statically
compiled code, as well as over most JIT systems."

@ 2009-09-26 17:21 David McClain
From: David McClain @ 2009-09-26 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list