* Re: [Caml-list] Why People Aren't Using OCAML? (was Haskell)
@ 2001-03-24  3:17 Arturo Borquez
From: Arturo Borquez @ 2001-03-24  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mattias.waldau; +Cc: caml-list

On Fri, 23 March 2001, "Mattias Waldau" wrote:

> Something we should think about also for Ocaml
>
> http://www.jelovic.com/articles/why_people_arent_using_haskell.htm
>
> "What can be done about this? First and foremost the Haskell community must
> make a standard distribution of Haskell that contains enough libraries to be
> useful. That should include a regular expression library, an Internet
> protocol library, a library for dealing with standard internet data and
> encoding, a crypto library, a multimedia library and a GUI library.
>
> Next, the Haskell community must step out of its research circles and start
> publicizing Haskell to the practicing programmers. Write articles in DDJ and
> similar publications. Publish real-world programs written in Haskell."
>
> Most of this is also relevant for Ocaml, for example there are
> crypto libraries and XML-support (for example PXP, which require wlex, which
> is a hazzle).

Hi Mattias:
As I am part of the 'real world programmers' from the begining I have being trying to put OCaml to work in trivial but 'real world apps' with great success. I must recognize that I am not so skilled in the language to participate in the theoric-forum, but yet I have coded some apps (server services) to my company to show the reliability of OCaml, and we are all agree that is a great language. But a great language to be successful and honour the great effort done by the authors must be promoted actively outside the research environment. I believe that lots of programmers not use OCaml because they are unaware about its existence. How to do it? The strategy and decision is to be made by INRIA and/or Caml Consortuim. Personaly I would like to see OCaml world wide spreaded playing in the 'great leages'.

http://www.shopping.altavista.com

* Re: [Caml-list] Why not article in journal ? (was Why People Aren't Using OCAML?)
@ 2001-03-26 23:11 David Gurr
From: David Gurr @ 2001-03-26 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier.Leroy; +Cc: caml-list

 > From: Xavier Leroy <Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr>
 >
> I must confess some irritation, mixed with amusement, towards this
> Jelovic op-ed piece and similar well-meaning but basically clueless
> piece of advice that flourishes on the Web, on Usenet, and in computer
> magazines.

My summary of this type of advice is "Make the easy easier and
make the hard harder".  If you want to turn Ocaml into the next
visual basic, it is excellent advice.  If you want to turn
Ocaml into the next Ocaml, then I think it is best that you
and the "someones at INRIA" keep doing what you all have been doing.
I vote for the latter.

-David Gurr

PS I do appreciate the "dry and boring academic papers".