From: Judicael Courant <Judicael.Courant@lri.fr>
To: Jacques Garrigue <garrigue@kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Future of labels
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 14:53:22 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi,

I am personnaly a classic-mode user, except when I play with some GUI
libraries (which I have not much time to do). My wishes
about labels are

1) If there are several modes, the default one should be compatible with
ocaml 2.00 as I would prefer not to change my developments in Caml. On
the contrary, whether the current semantics of label is preserved or not
does not matter (for me at least).

2) There should be only one mode. I wish ocamlc has as few options as
possible.

3) If you can write labels then you should be able to commute them in
function application, otherwise there is little point in writing
applications with labeled arguments: you have to remember both the order
and the name of the arguments (though of course, it enhances the
security the type-checker offers...)

So, if I understand well, I would vote in favor of the solution your PS
provides.

[The following is probably off-topic and probably needs quite a lot of
work to be put in O'Caml but we can expect miracles from the Caml team,
can not we?]
A wish about optionnal arguments: I would use them a lot if they where a
bit more... optionnal, in the style of implicit parameters of
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/lewis00implicit.html.

This would be really helpful when defining printers (where you have to
carry everywhere the channel on which you are printing), when you are
defining a type-checker (you must carry the current environment that is
unchanged in all your rules but the one about lambda-abstraction, ...).

Sincerly yours,

Judicaël.
--
Judicael.Courant@lri.fr, http://www.lri.fr/~jcourant/