* [Caml-list] [ANN] OPAM 1.1.1 released
@ 2014-01-29 17:23 Louis Gesbert
From: Louis Gesbert @ 2014-01-29 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

We are proud to announce that OPAM 1.1.1 has just been released.

This minor release features mostly stability and UI/doc improvements over OPAM
1.1.0, but also focuses on improving the API and tools to be a better base for
the platform (functions for opam-doc, interface with tools like opamfu and
opam-installer). Lots of bigger changes are in the works, and will be merged
progressively after this release.

== Installing ==

Installation instruction are available here:

  http://opam.ocaml.org/doc/Quick_Install.html

Note that some packages may take a few days until they get out of the pipeline.
If you're eager to get 1.1.1, either use our binary installer:

  https://raw.github.com/ocaml/opam/master/shell/opam_installer.sh

or compile from source:

  https://github.com/ocaml/opam/releases/tag/1.1.1

== About OPAM ==

OPAM is a source-based package manager for OCaml. It supports multiple
simultaneous compiler installations, flexible package constraints, and a
Git-friendly development workflow. OPAM is edited and maintained by OCamlPro,
with continuous support from OCaml Labs and the community at large (including
its main industrial users such as Jane-Street and Citrix).

The "official" package repository is now hosted at https://opam.ocaml.org,
synchronised with the Git repository at http://github.com/ocaml/opam-repository,
where you can contribute new packages descriptions. Those are under a CC0
license, a.k.a. public domain, to ensure they will always belong to the
community.

Thanks to all of you who have helped build this repository and made OPAM such a
success.

== Changes ==

From the changelog:
* Fix `opam-admin make <packages> -r` (#990)
* Explicitly prettyprint list of lists, to fix `opam-admin depexts` (#997)
* Tell the user which fields is invalid in a configuration file (#1016)
* Add `OpamSolver.empty_universe` for flexible universe instantiation (#1033)
* Add `OpamFormula.eval_relop` and `OpamFormula.check_relop` (#1042)
* Change `OpamCompiler.compare` to match `Pervasives.compare` (#1042)
* Add `OpamCompiler.eval_relop` (#1042)
* Add `OpamPackage.Name.compare` (#1046)
* Add types `version_constraint` and `version_formula` to `OpamFormula` (#1046)
* Clearer command aliases. Made `info` an alias for `show` and added the alias
  `uninstall` (#944)
* Fixed `opam init --root=<relative path>` (#1047)
* Display OS constraints in `opam info` (#1052)
* Add a new 'opam-installer' script to make `.install` files usable outside of
  opam (#1026)
* Add a `--resolve` option to `opam-admin make` that builds just the archives
  you need for a specific installation (#1031)
* Fixed handling of spaces in filenames in internal files (#1014)
* Replace calls to `which` by a more portable call (#1061)
* Fixed generation of the init scripts in some cases (#1011)
* Better reports on package patch errors (#987, #988)
* More accurate warnings for unknown package dependencies (#1079)
* Added `opam config report` to help with bug reports (#1034)
* Do not reinstall dev packages with `opam upgrade <pkg>` (#1001)
* Be more careful with `opam init` to a non-empty root directory (#974)
* Cleanup build-dir after successful compiler installation to save on space
  (#1006)
* Improved OSX compatibility in the external solver tools (#1074)
* Fixed messages printed on update that were plain wrong (#1030)
* Improved detection of meaningful changes from upstream packages to trigger
  recompilation

Enjoy !

Louis, on behalf of all the OPAM team

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] OPAM 1.1.1 released
@ 2014-02-01  5:00 ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2014-02-01  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 18:23:51 +0100
Louis Gesbert <louis.gesbert@ocamlpro.com> wrote:

> We are proud to announce that OPAM 1.1.1 has just been released.

If I upgrade, can I keep my existing ~/.opam or do I have to rebuild
everything?

PS/Meta: This listserv seems to set the Reply-To header on each message
to the address of the submitter.  This is a form of "header munging"
which I have not seen before; the usual (and obnoxious) practice is to
set Reply-To to the list address, thus erecting an obstacle against
private replies (the obstacle can of course be circumvented by manually
editing the headers of a reply, at least if one doesn't use Gmail).  On
the other hand, this listserv's way makes it harder for a poster to
indicate that a private reply is desired.  What is the reasoning behind
it?

gpg public key: 2048R/984A8AE4
fingerprint: 7953 ADA1 0E8E AB57 FB79  FFD2 360A 88B2 984A 8AE4
Funny pic: http://bit.ly/ZNE2MX

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] OPAM 1.1.1 released
@ 2014-02-01 11:15   ` Anil Madhavapeddy
From: Anil Madhavapeddy @ 2014-02-01 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Zimmerman; +Cc: caml users

On 1 Feb 2014, at 06:00, Ian Zimmerman <itz@buug.org> wrote:

>> We are proud to announce that OPAM 1.1.1 has just been released.
>
> If I upgrade, can I keep my existing ~/.opam or do I have to rebuild
> everything?

OPAM 1.1.1 shouldn't change the ~/.opam format at all, so you can
interchange OPAM 1.1.0 and 1.1.1 without any problems.

If you do spot some incompatibility, please let us know.

-anil