* RE: [Caml-list] Record pattern matching
@ 2001-05-10 18:43 Don Syme
From: Don Syme @ 2001-05-10 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Max Skaller; +Cc: caml-list

> > I guess this is considered a feature, but I just wanted to report
that
> > in my current situation I actually find it unhelpful.
>
> 	You'd rather be forced to code something like:
>
> 	function { a=a; b=_ } -> a;;
>
> where all the fields have to be named, but some of them can
> be specified as ignored?

I guess the point is that I don't use record pattern matching much, and
where I do I don't want partial matches.  Or at least I have a cases
where enforcing full matching would catch more bugs.  For example, if
I'm writing marshalling code for the record by hand I want the type
system to tell me if I have forgotten to marshal a field.

> There is a sense in which
>
> 	record.a
>
> is just a shorthand for
>
> 	match record with { a=value } -> value
>
> which means that you might argue that the notation
>
> 	record.a
>
> should be completed by naming every field too :-)

You could argue that, but I wouldn't....

Don

* [Caml-list] Record pattern matching
@ 2001-05-07 15:33 Don Syme
From: Don Syme @ 2001-05-07 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

In OCaml record patterns may be inexact, i.e. you do not have to specify
all the fields.

# type x = {a:int; b:int};;
type x = { a : int; b : int; }

# function {a=a} -> a;;
- : x -> int = <fun>

# function {b=b} -> b;;
- : x -> int = <fun>
#

I guess this is considered a feature, but I just wanted to report that
in my current situation I actually find it unhelpful.  I'm in the
process of adding fields to a large number of existing records in a
large existing code base, and would like the type checker to notify me
every time a pattern match is used against one of these record types -
essentially every place where I do such a pattern match I will have some
extra work to do and I'd rather the type checker guided me to these
locations.

If I had encoded the type as a datatype constructor, then the rules are
of course different:

# type x = Foo of int * int;;
type x = Foo of int * int

# function (Foo (x)) -> x
Characters 10-17:
The constructor Foo expects 2 argument(s),
but is here applied to 1 argument(s)

It seems you're faced with an unfortunate either-or: you lose some
strictness in your type checking (i.e. the type checker ends up catching
less bugs), or you lose the syntactic convenience of records.

I don't really have a suggestion as to what to do about this, though I
guess I would prefer if pattern matching against records was strict, or
if an alternative syntax could be used for stricter record patterns.  As
an aside, I would also prefer it if you did not have to use the "{a=a;
b=b}" syntax but could write "{a; b}".

Thanks,
Don