* Re: [Caml-list] avoiding native call from bytecode issue via dynamic linking
@ 2001-11-09 15:11 Rolf Wester
From: Rolf Wester @ 2001-11-09 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Jeff Henrikson wrote:
> Has anybody considered sidestepping the native/bytecode compatablity
> issue in favor of an all native toplevel?  That is, one which takes an
> expression, compiles it to native code, and loads it back in to code
> space?  For example, write it out to a shared lib, either one for each
> expression (or more likely for efficiency) one for some reasonably sized
> history of expressions.  Then dlopen and dlsym the symbols into place.

It would be great to have a toplevel that compiles to native code. If this
would only be possible under UNIX I would immediately change from NT to
Linux (what I probably should do anyway). Native code compilation in the
toplevel was one of the reasons to consider to use Lisp.

Rolf Wester

* Re: [Caml-list] calling native from bytecode (was RE: a regular expression library)
@ 2001-09-25 21:22 Chris Hecker
From: Chris Hecker @ 2001-09-25 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Mottl, Jerome Vouillon; +Cc: caml-list

>> (The library is much slower when compiled to bytecode though, as it
>>  is entirely written in O'Caml.  I plan to rewrite the critical
>>  sections of the code in C.)
>It would be really nice if there were ways to call OCaml-native code
>from OCaml-byte code. This question has popped up in the past, but it's
>not an easy thing to do due to issues with the runtime:
>  http://caml.inria.fr/archives/200108/msg00026.html
>Any news in this respect? A toplevel that could run a high-performance,
>OCaml-native code string matching engine would give a terrific scripting
>environment!

I was going to reply to that same quote and reiterate my desire to link native and bytecode!  :) That was the thread I started you've linked to, here's the beginning: http://caml.inria.fr/archives/200108/msg00008.html.

It's such a shame that we're pushing ocaml code into C because of this limitation.  This seems incredibly ironic and sad to me.

I started looking into it seriously, but I got discouraged after Xavier's discussion of the gc differences and after I looked at the runtime code (lots of #ifdefs and even separate files in some cases).

It seems like it would be a _ton_ of work if you tried to do it in a backwards compatible way.  If this was a higher priority, it seems like you could do it if you punted bytecode backwards compatibility and made some big changes.  I'd love to do this, but it looks like a major undertaking, not the quick hack I originally though it might be.

Chris