* [Caml-list] OS X distribution
@ 2002-11-05  4:15 Stephen C Harris
From: Stephen C Harris @ 2002-11-05  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,
I've put up a preliminary binary distribution of Ocaml for OS X, at
http://home.att.net/~scharris/OSX/

It appears as a single icon, just drag it wherever you want it and
you're set.
I've tried to do it the "OS X way" by putting everything that's needed
within the application itself,  which like all OS X apps is really a
directory "<app-name>.app" in the unix filesystem.  So the ocaml files
which ordinarily would be installed into  e.g. /usr/local/{lib,bin} are
within the application itself, in directories
<app-name>.app/dist/{lib,bin}.
The gui application itself is the toplevel wrapper that was announced
earlier. By default it now uses the ocaml toplevel it includes within
itself (so the user doesn't have to configure the path to the
interpreter now), but that's configurable and you can download it with
or without the ocaml distribution within it.

Some things still aren't fully worked out in the gui toplevel wrapper,
such as how best to recognize termination of input.  You can tell it
whether to look for ;;'s or ;'s (in case you like revised syntax) as a
terminator, but if that's not the real end of input *and* it happens to
end the line (except for whitespace), then it will be confused for end
of input.  The confustion is more likely in revised syntax I guess
since ;'s are also list separators.  But you can always put it in the
mode where shift-enter ends the input.  I do wonder if anybody has any
better ideas though, short of putting a full parser into it.

PS: at least look at  the image at the top of the page, "lambda leading
camel", which is also the app icon.

Thanks
scharris@att.net

only message in thread, other threads:[~2002-11-05  9:14 UTC | newest]