* [Caml-list] Syntax for multiple subtyping constraints?
@ 2002-07-12  5:33 Brian Smith
From: Brian Smith @ 2002-07-12  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello everbody,

Please consider the following:

# class virtual x = object method virtual foo : int    end
   class virtual y = object method virtual bar : string end
   class z =
     object
      method foo = 2
      method bar = "there"
     end;;

How can I assert that class "z" is supposed to be a subtype of class x
and class y? In other words, how can I assert that (some_z : z :> x) and
(some_z : z :> y) will always be valid? I tried:

# class z =
     object (self : #x, self : #y)
      method foo = 2
      method bar = "there"
     end;;
Characters 29-30:
     object (self : #x, self : #y)
                      ^
Syntax error

But, it only works for one supertype, e.g.:

class z =
   object (self : #x) (* or (self : #y) *)
    method foo = 2
    method bar = "there"
   end;;

I know that I could just leave it out and everything would work, but I
want to specify that z is supposed to be a subtype of both x and y so
that, if I screw up the definition of class z, the compiler will give me
an error. For example, if I didn't define the method "bar" in class "z",
I want to get the error:

   This class  type should be virtual
   The following methods are undefined : bar

Thanks,
Brian

* Re: [Caml-list] Syntax for multiple subtyping constraints?
@ 2002-07-12  8:54 ` Jacques Garrigue
From: Jacques Garrigue @ 2002-07-12  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brian-l-smith; +Cc: caml-list

From: Brian Smith <brian-l-smith@uiowa.edu>

> Please consider the following:
>
> # class virtual x = object method virtual foo : int    end
>    class virtual y = object method virtual bar : string end
>    class z =
>      object
>       method foo = 2
>       method bar = "there"
>      end;;
>
> How can I assert that class "z" is supposed to be a subtype of class x
> and class y? In other words, how can I assert that (some_z : z :> x) and
> (some_z : z :> y) will always be valid?

You have many ways to force (self : #x) and (self : #y).

class z = object ((self : #x) : #y)
  method foo = 2
  method bar = "there"
end
class z = object (self : 'a)
  constraint 'a = #x
  constraint 'a = #y
  method foo = 2
  method bar = "there"
end
class z = object
  inherit x
  inherit y
  method foo = 2
  method bar = "there"
end

The last one uses the fact x and y are virtual classes, rather than
class types.

Note that none of these guarantee a subtyping relation, only a
matching one. Fortunately, as long as the type of self does not appear
in a contravariant position in x or y, this relation is included in
subtyping.

Jacques Garrigue

* Re: [Caml-list] Syntax for multiple subtyping constraints?
@ 2002-07-12 13:21 ` John Max Skaller
From: John Max Skaller @ 2002-07-12 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian Smith wrote:

> In other words, how can I assert that (some_z : z :> x) and (some_z :
> z :> y) will always be valid?

Well, you can just encode the conversion in a function:

let x_of_z (some_z : z):x = (some_z:z::>x)

--
John Max Skaller, mailto:skaller@ozemail.com.au
snail:10/1 Toxteth Rd, Glebe, NSW 2037, Australia.