From: Alessandro Baretta <alex@baretta.com>
To: "Johan Baltié" <johan.baltie@wanadoo.fr>,
	Ocaml <caml-list@inria.fr>,
	"Daniel de Rauglaudre" <daniel.de_rauglaudre@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Recovering masked methods (with CamlP4?)
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 13:08:08 +0200	[thread overview]

Johan Baltié wrote:

> I do not agree with you on the usefullness of this kind of stuff.
> Basic OO theory says that the inheritance relation can be seen as a "is a" operator.
>
> If your "is a" means "is a with some variants", for me your modelization is not
> good.
>
> You should have:
>
>  B' inherits A
>  B inherits B'
>  small_b_variant inherits B'
>
> Like this code factorisation seems to be easy to do.
>
> IMHO it's a good modelization constraint to forbid such stuff.

I strongly disagree. Inheritance, as pointed out previously
by someone on this list (I can't remember whom), is a
syntactic property of classes, whereas subtyping is a
semantic property of instances. Just now I have received a
post by John Prevost clarifying this.

In my code,
class a = object method m = ... end
Provides basic functionality common to all my inheritance
hiearchy. Class a *also* defines the actual type of all my
inheritance hieararchy, so I do not use subtyping at all; I
use type *identity*. That's because I'm building a graph of
objects of different classes, so all the objects in the
graph need to have the same type. I only use inheritance
because of code sharing. Now,
class b = object inherit a ... end
performs extensive personalizations to the functionality
provided by class a, while always retaining the
functionality of the parent, which is accessed by sending
messages to super_a. Class var_b needs most of the
functionality provided by b, with the sole exception of one
method, which I call here m, which needs to be identical to
the one defined in the root of the hierarchy. Hence, for the
sake of code reuse, since var_b shares most of its code with
b, it must inherit from b; however, for the sake of not
having multiple copies of the same lines of code--a
maintainance issue--I *also* need var_b to inherit, albeit
indirectly, form a. This is my reason for requesting and
"explicit inheritance hierarchy" construct. I think it
should pose no semantic issues with the OO system of Caml.
It should simply allow explicit scoping of inherited
methods. Please, note that it is merely a bit of syntactic
sugar. To think of it, it might even be implemented with CamlP4.

CamlP4 could perform the following code transformation:
class a =
object
   method m = <some stuff>
end

class a =
object
   private method __class_a__m = <some stuff>
   method m = self # __class_a__m
end

and

class var_b =
object
   inherit a as super_a through b as super_b
   method m = super_a # m
end

class var_b =
object
   inherit b as super_b
   method m = __class_a__m
end

Daniel, I'm no CamlP4 guru. Would this scheme work?

Alex