From: nadji@noos.fr
To: "caml-list@inria.fr" <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] polymorphic variant question
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 21:05:24 +0200	[thread overview]

Thanks for all the answers but I search a more systematic one.
In fact this was a (too) stripped version of a problem that
is occuring quite frequently since I use a lot of pm.
Imagine I have a type :
type t = [`a|`b|`c]
And I have a function f whose *infered* type is [`a|`b] -> unit
I would like the compiler to know that (a semantically equivalent code as)
function `c -> () | x -> f x
is correct, without having to precise all the variant that x could be.
(that is, without saying :
function `c -> () | `a|`b as x -> f x
nor
type ab = [`a|`b]
type t = [ab | `c]
function `c -> () | #ab as x -> f x
)
I don't want to write type annotations all around because
- my pm are quite large
- a lot of functions like f are not published in my interface
- I think OCaml should be smart enough to do this

TIA,
Nadji