* [Caml-list] Bp_val and Data_custom_val
@ 2002-09-18 19:54 Yaron M. Minsky
       [not found] ` <3D891635.4030002@htec.demon.co.uk>
From: Yaron M. Minsky @ 2002-09-18 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I'm wondering if someone can help me out in understanding the difference
between Bp_val and Data_custom_val.  These are both macros for accessing
caml values from C.  I lifted and adapted some code from the
distribution for building a berkeley DB interface.  In that code, Bp_val
is used to access the contents of finalized blocks.  I adapted that code
but shifted to custom blocks, which according to the docs have the same
layout.  The docs also suggest using Data_custom_val for custom blocks.
  But when I try to do that, I end up with segfaults.  I'm wondering
what precisely the difference is.  Here's a snippet of my data type
definitions and the macros I use for accessing the data contained in the
custom blocks holding that data:

struct camldb {
   DB *db;
   int closed;
};

struct camltxn {
   DB_TXN *txn;
   int closed;
};

#define UW_db(v) (((struct camldb *)Bp_val(v))->db)
#define UW_db_closed(v) (((struct camldb *)Bp_val(v))->closed)

#define UW_txn(v) (((struct camltxn *)Bp_val(v))->txn)
#define UW_txn_closed(v) (((struct camltxn *)Bp_val(v))->closed)

Anything fishy about that?  And any problem with replacing Bp_val with
Data_custom_val here?

By the way, in a separate post, I put a URL for where you can download
the entire wrapper in question.  Here it is again:

    http://minsky-primus.homeip.net/ocaml/bdb.tar.gz