From: Alessandro Baretta <alex@baretta.com>
To: Jacques Garrigue <garrigue@kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp>,
	Ocaml <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Polymorphic methods and ellipsis
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 11:39:36 +0200	[thread overview]

Jacques Garrigue wrote:
> From: Alessandro Baretta <alex@baretta.com>
>
>>At any rate, why does my technique not work?
>>
>>class salutation : object
>>   method greet : 'a. (#parent as 'a) -> string
>>end = object
>>   method greet obj -> obj # foo ^ obj # bar
>>end
>

> You can see the above (and it is more or less type the same way) as
>
> class salutation0 = object
>    method greet obj -> obj # foo ^ obj # bar
> end
>
> class salutation : object
>    method greet : 'a. (#parent as 'a) -> string
> end = salutation0
>
> So you see that your constraint is applied too late: salutation0
> itself is not typable.

Oh! This is curious. You are telling me that the type
constraints defined in the class type are applied once and
for all *after* the class implementation has been typed?
This would make sense after all, given that the class type
and the class implementation are two distinct syntactic and
semantic entities in O'Caml. This is not something I would
have thought of on my own.

> I though at some time of attempting to make this work, since something
> like that is already done for recursive functions for instance, but
> that's not regular. In fact, you would probably end up wanting to
> write the implementation in the .ml and the interface in the .mli, and
> this would not work anyway.

This is not really a problem. I can live with locally
applied constraints. I just did not realize why the my
attempt did not work.

Let me suggest another idea where you might better spend
your time. I can write
 > let f x : 'a -> 'a = x
but I cannot write
method f x : 'a . 'a -> 'a = x
I have to use the more cumbersome
method f : 'a .'a -> 'a = fun x -> x

The ability to type check correctly the first form of method
declaration is an improvement I would appreciate. While not
terriblly important, this is something that might be worth
your time for some future release.

> So, there is a deep problem about which constraints apply
> where. The examples in the tutorial give you the way to do that
> without ambiguity.
>
>         Jacques

Thank you very much for your explanations, Jacques. It is a
pleasure to work with a language where I continually get to
learn new, conceptually interesting ideas. I'd get bored to
death otherwise.

Alex