* [Caml-list] LargeFile module
@ 2002-11-06 23:10 Alessandro Baretta
From: Alessandro Baretta @ 2002-11-06 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ocaml

Does anybody know if the LargeFile module has compatibility
issues with specific filesystems, namely FAT?

Alex

* Re: [Caml-list] LargeFile module
@ 2002-11-07  7:46 ` Florian Hars
From: Florian Hars @ 2002-11-07  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alessandro Baretta; +Cc: Ocaml

Alessandro Baretta wrote:
> Does anybody know if the LargeFile module has compatibility issues with
> specific filesystems, namely FAT?

No, there cannot be any compatibility issue, since there cannot be any large
files on a FAT filesystem in the first place.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?url=/WINDOWSXP/home/using/productdoc/en/choosing_between_NTFS_FAT_and_FAT32.asp

Yours, Florian.

* Re: [Caml-list] LargeFile module
@ 2002-11-07 10:02   ` Alessandro Baretta
From: Alessandro Baretta @ 2002-11-07 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ocaml

Florian Hars wrote:
> Alessandro Baretta wrote:
>
>> Does anybody know if the LargeFile module has compatibility issues
>> with specific filesystems, namely FAT?
>

> No, there cannot be any compatibility issue, since there cannot be any
> large
> files on a FAT filesystem in the first place.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?url=/WINDOWSXP/home/using/productdoc/en/choosing_between_NTFS_FAT_and_FAT32.asp
>

> Yours, Florian.

I haven't read the link you suggested, but I can assure you
that I have a couple multigigabyte files on the dark side of
my computer, and both Windows explorer and unix cp and tar
fail to copy it elsewhere. I thought I might try writing my
own cp in Ocaml with the LargeFile module. But you tell me
that FAT is incapable of large files. Then, my attempt would
be doomed to fail. Curiously enough, the video capture
application that made those files in the first place and
other video editing and playback applications are perfectly
able to read and use those files.

Alex