* [Caml-list] Submitting patches to Ocaml
@ 2002-11-23  0:17 Blair Zajac
From: Blair Zajac @ 2002-11-23  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I decided to run valgrind against the bytecode interpreter and it
found a memory leak, which fixed.

By the way, valgrind is this really cool memory leak and access
detector for Linux.  It doesn't require any modifications to any
binaries.  See

    http://developer.kde.org/~sewardj/

Anyway, I have a patch for the memory leak and for a couple of
other minor things I saw in the C code.

What's the best way to get these into the CVS tree?  Should I
send the patches to caml-bugs?

Regarding the bug tracker, I noticed that it doesn't do any
tracking of the people that respond to or categorize bugs.
It seems pretty feature short compared to Bugzilla.  Would
there be any way to get Bugzilla installed at Inria?

Best,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac <blair@orcaware.com>

* Re: [Caml-list] Submitting patches to Ocaml
@ 2002-11-25 10:11 ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2002-11-25 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I decided to run valgrind against the bytecode interpreter and it
> found a memory leak, which fixed.

Yes, valgrind is an excellent tool.  As for the memory leaks, there
are things that are not freed on exit (heap, stack), but that's
intentional (the OS is goign to free everything itself).  Bug reports
for other leaks are most welcome.

> Anyway, I have a patch for the memory leak and for a couple of
> other minor things I saw in the C code.
> What's the best way to get these into the CVS tree?  Should I
> send the patches to caml-bugs?

The best way is to submit bug reports to caml-bugs.  Attach a patch if
you wish, but that's optional (we may want to fix the bugs differently).
A patch without a bug report is useless.

> Regarding the bug tracker, I noticed that it doesn't do any
> tracking of the people that respond to or categorize bugs.
> It seems pretty feature short compared to Bugzilla.  Would
> there be any way to get Bugzilla installed at Inria?

Bugzilla has a reputation of being awfully hard to install.  Other bug
tracking systems are better alternatives.  Jitterbug (what we
currently use) is indeed simplistic, but fits our needs well.

- Xavier Leroy

* Re: [Caml-list] Submitting patches to Ocaml
@ 2002-11-25 18:29   ` Blair Zajac
From: Blair Zajac @ 2002-11-25 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Xavier Leroy wrote:

> > I decided to run valgrind against the bytecode interpreter and it
> > found a memory leak, which fixed.
>
> Yes, valgrind is an excellent tool.  As for the memory leaks, there
> are things that are not freed on exit (heap, stack), but that's
> intentional (the OS is goign to free everything itself).  Bug reports
> for other leaks are most welcome.

Thanks.  Will do.

> > Anyway, I have a patch for the memory leak and for a couple of
> > other minor things I saw in the C code.
> > What's the best way to get these into the CVS tree?  Should I
> > send the patches to caml-bugs?
>
> The best way is to submit bug reports to caml-bugs.  Attach a patch if
> you wish, but that's optional (we may want to fix the bugs differently).
> A patch without a bug report is useless.
>
> > Regarding the bug tracker, I noticed that it doesn't do any
> > tracking of the people that respond to or categorize bugs.
> > It seems pretty feature short compared to Bugzilla.  Would
> > there be any way to get Bugzilla installed at Inria?
>
> Bugzilla has a reputation of being awfully hard to install.  Other bug
> tracking systems are better alternatives.  Jitterbug (what we
> currently use) is indeed simplistic, but fits our needs well.

I've installed it several times on different sites and it wasn't
particularly hard.  And comparing it to writing a GC, it seems
simple :)  But it does take a while.

Best,
Blair

--

@ 2002-11-26  6:44     ` Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2002-11-26  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 10:29:58AM -0800, Blair Zajac wrote:
> Xavier Leroy wrote:
> > Bugzilla has a reputation of being awfully hard to install.  Other bug
> > tracking systems are better alternatives.  Jitterbug (what we
> > currently use) is indeed simplistic, but fits our needs well.
>
> I've installed it several times on different sites and it wasn't
> particularly hard.  And comparing it to writing a GC, it seems
> simple :)  But it does take a while.

In my understanding, and from the few times i had interaction with
bugzilla, in its gnome incarnation, it really is not as nice as you
think it is :

  o you have to create an account.

  o you cannot use a mail interface.

Both of these are possible with the ocaml BTS, and altough it would be
nice to have some feedback when the bug report is processed, it works
rather nicely, without the added complexity of bugzilla, which will, in
my opinion, add more confusion than other thinks.

But then, maybe i have been spoiled by the debian BTS.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

* Re: [Caml-list] Submitting patches to Ocaml
@ 2002-11-26  6:59       ` Blair Zajac
From: Blair Zajac @ 2002-11-26  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sven Luther wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 10:29:58AM -0800, Blair Zajac wrote:
> > Xavier Leroy wrote:
> > > Bugzilla has a reputation of being awfully hard to install.  Other bug
> > > tracking systems are better alternatives.  Jitterbug (what we
> > > currently use) is indeed simplistic, but fits our needs well.
> >
> > I've installed it several times on different sites and it wasn't
> > particularly hard.  And comparing it to writing a GC, it seems
> > simple :)  But it does take a while.
>
> In my understanding, and from the few times i had interaction with
> bugzilla, in its gnome incarnation, it really is not as nice as you
> think it is :

<getting off topic>
I've looked at several BTS and decided to use it at several different
companies for internal use, so I've been quite happy with it.

The first thing I noticed browsing the Caml bugs was that there was
no mention of who categorized the bugs and who wrote any comments in
response to the bugs.  I always find this good info to have when
browsing bugs.

>   o you have to create an account.

With an account you get to attach your email address to a particular
bug if you want to watch it.  I've done with with one bug on Mozilla
that I've been waiting forever to finish (uploading bookmarks, history,
etc), and don't have to subscribe to a mailing list to see it's
progress.

>   o you cannot use a mail interface.

True.

> Both of these are possible with the ocaml BTS, and altough it would be
> nice to have some feedback when the bug report is processed, it works
> rather nicely, without the added complexity of bugzilla, which will, in
> my opinion, add more confusion than other thinks.

I think each BTS has things that others are missing.  Having used
Bugzilla in many projects, I've come to look for those pieces of
information.
</getting off topic>

Best,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac <blair@orcaware.com>
Plots of your system's performance plots - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/

* [Caml-list] Bugzilla installation (was Re: Submitting patches to Ocaml)
@ 2002-11-27 14:42   ` Tim Freeman
From: Tim Freeman @ 2002-11-27 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xavier.leroy; +Cc: blair, caml-list

From: Xavier Leroy <xavier.leroy@inria.fr>
>Bugzilla has a reputation of being awfully hard to install.

I have installed it before and it was not hard at all.  I did it one
afternoon on a Debian system, using MySQL as the database backend.  It
worked fine.  Going into the project, getting the database installed
was the scariest part of it, but Debian's package installation is
smooth enough that installing MySQL is not a problem at all.

>Other bug tracking systems are better alternatives.  Jitterbug (what
>we currently use) is indeed simplistic, but fits our needs well.

I don't know much about other good bug tracking systems.  I've
encountered a few bad ones, but that doesn't help much.

I've also hacked a Bugzilla implementation to change the form for
submitting bugs, add fields to bugs, and make other changes.  It's
just a bunch of Perl CGI scripts.  If you aren't concerned with being
prepared to accept some future Bugzilla upgrade, there's no special
problem with adapting it to your purposes.

On the other hand, I'm not hearing interesting-enough specific
problems with the present Jitterbug implementation, so I can't
advocate switching to Bugzilla even if it's trivial.  There would at
least be work to migrate the existing bugs to the new system.

--
Tim Freeman
tim@fungible.com