* [Caml-list] graphical notation/representation of functional programs?
@ 2003-02-20 16:40 Oliver Bandel
From: Oliver Bandel @ 2003-02-20 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

when using graphical representations like in
"The Craft of Functional Programming", so that
a function is a box with in- and output, then
it's a convenient way of looking at functional
programs.

Is that technique of overview more elaborated
used by other people?

Shouldn't it possible to have a graphical notation
for FP, like a functional aequivalent of the notation,
that is used in the OO-programmers world, where
classes and methods and attributes and so on
are presentated in a graphical manner?

Are there papers on that topic?
Or is functional programming in higher spheres
done comepletely an algebraic form 8lambda calculus)?

Ciao,
   Oliver

* Re: [Caml-list] graphical notation/representation of functional  programs?
@ 2003-02-20 20:12 ` Ken Rose
From: Ken Rose @ 2003-02-20 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Bandel; +Cc: caml-list

Oliver Bandel wrote:

> Hello,
>
> when using graphical representations like in
> "The Craft of Functional Programming", so that
> a function is a box with in- and output, then
> it's a convenient way of looking at functional
> programs.
>
> Is that technique of overview more elaborated
> used by other people?
>
> Shouldn't it possible to have a graphical notation
> for FP, like a functional aequivalent of the notation,
> that is used in the OO-programmers world, where
> classes and methods and attributes and so on
> are presentated in a graphical manner?
>
> Are there papers on that topic?
> Or is functional programming in higher spheres
> done comepletely an algebraic form 8lambda calculus)?

I don't know of anything formal, but the dataflow diagrams used in some
structured analysis methods feel pretty functional to me.  See, for
example "Modern Structured Analysis" Edward Yourdon, 1989.

 - ken

* Re: [Caml-list] graphical notation/representation of functional programs?
@ 2003-02-21  9:04 ` Jocelyn Sérot
From: Jocelyn Sérot @ 2003-02-21  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Bandel; +Cc: caml-list

Le jeudi, 20 fév 2003, à 17:40 Europe/Paris, Oliver Bandel a écrit :

> Hello,
>

> when using graphical representations like in
> "The Craft of Functional Programming", so that
> a function is a box with in- and output, then
> it's a convenient way of looking at functional
> programs.
>
> Is that technique of overview more elaborated
> used by other people?
>
> Shouldn't it possible to have a graphical notation
> for FP, like a functional aequivalent of the notation,
> that is used in the OO-programmers world, where
> classes and methods and attributes and so on
> are presentated in a graphical manner?
>
> Are there papers on that topic?
> Or is functional programming in higher spheres
> done comepletely an algebraic form 8lambda calculus)?
>
> Ciao,
>    Oliver

Here are two papers i am aware of (sorry, i don't have the urls at hand
now, but a search
on the web should give them to you) :

* J.ohn Reekie. "Visual Haskell : a first attempt", TR 94.5, U.
Sydney,, 1994.

* Joel Kelso. "A Visual representation for functional programs", TR
CS95-01, CS Dept, Murdoch Univ, 1995.

You can also have a look at Reekie's subsequent work on dataflow signal
procesing (including his phd thesis)

@phdthesis{ reekie95realtime,
     author = "H. J. Reekie",
     title = "{Realtime Signal Processing: Dataflow, Visual and
Functional Programming}",
     address = "University of Technology at Sydney, Australia",
     year = "1995",
     url = "citeseer.nj.nec.com/article/reekie95realtime.html" }

or on the work

* of Launchburry on Hawk (www.cse.ori.edu/PacSoft/projects/Hawk)
* at Chalmers on Lava (http://www.math.chalmers.se/~koen/Lava),
* O'Donnell on Hydra (http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~jtod/Hydra/)

The laters all use FP to describe hardware systems.

Finally, you could also have a look at

* Camlflow
(http://wwwlasmea.univ-bpclermont.fr/Personnel/Jocelyn.Serot/
camlflow.html)

a system i developed to describe data-flow graphs as caml programs.

HTH,

Jocelyn
--
E-mail: Jocelyn.Serot@l_a_s_m_e_a.u_n_i_v-bpclermont.fr
S-mail: LASMEA - UMR 6602 CNRS, Universite Blaise Pascal, 63177 Aubiere