From: Blair Zajac <blair@orcaware.com>
To: Nicolas Cannasse <warplayer@free.fr>
Cc: Samuel Mimram <samuel.mimram@ens-lyon.fr>,
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Ocaml and Samba function name collisions
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 23:17:12 -0800	[thread overview]

Nicolas Cannasse wrote:

> > The #define you suggested does not seem to work and
> > I think this is beacause they are not exported in the header
> > files but are in the the .so and therefore visible in the global
> > C namespace. And I'd prefer not to have to use C++ (I think
> > I should be able to do it in C), so I did not try the namspace trick.
>
> This trick was an answer to Stephano problem about the struct color defined
> by the camlheaders (if I understood correcly). I'm not sure there is a
> workaround for the dl primitives name collisions which does not require the
> modification of one of the two dlls.

I agree.  I don't think there's a workaround for this.

As getting patches and/or commit access to the Ocaml CVS tree is not
easy, I'm thinking of setting up a web page for patches to the official
Ocaml distrubtition.  I think this would be good for several reasons:

1) Anybody can submit then and they can be reviewed by the community.
   This would generate good quality patches.

2) The patches would be online in an easily accessible place when a
   Ocaml CVS committer wants to include them into the official
   distribution.  This could be done before a new Ocaml release,
   although patches should be applied to CVS as soon as possible
   to make the patching easier (less conflicts) and to test the code.

3) All patches would be in one location.

I've got two patches I would want in, the first for fixing this
function naming issue, the second free()ing some memory to avoid
a valgrind warning.

Best,
Blair

--