From: Jean-Baptiste Rouquier <jean-baptiste.rouquier@ens-lyon.org>
To: "caml-list@inria.fr" <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] polymorphic function not recognised as such
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 21:06:33 +0100	[thread overview]

The following type
    compare_things : thing -> thing -> ('a -> 'a -> bool) -> bool
doesn't mean that comparison_fun has to be polymorphic, but it means
that any function with type ('a -> 'a -> bool), where 'a is any type, is
acceptable. For instance, the type checker would accept a function of
the type (char -> char -> bool).

If you force the type checker to accept your function, for instance this
way (warning, awful code !):

let compare_things t1 t2 (comparison_fun: 'a -> 'a -> bool) =
  match (t1, t2) with
      (Int i, _) -> comparison_fun (Obj.magic i) (Obj.magic
(int_of_thing t2))
    | (String s, _) -> comparison_fun (Obj.magic s) (Obj.magic
(string_of_thing t2)) ;;

then you can get a segfault if you don't give a polymorphic function to
compare_things :

let string_rev s =
  let l = String.length s in
  let result = String.create l in
  for i=0 to l-1 do result.[i] <- s.[l-i-1] done;
  result

let my_comparison s s' =
  (string_rev s) > (string_rev s')

let ok = compare_things (Int 0) (String "42") (<)
let segfaults = compare_things (Int 0) (String "42") my_comparison

work around: pass 2 args to compare_things, namely compare_int and
compare_strings.
Jean-Baptiste.