* Looking for information regarding use of OCaml in scientific  computing and simulation
@ 2009-11-25 11:05 David MENTRE
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: David MENTRE @ 2009-11-25 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml users

Hello,

I'm considering doing a short presentation of OCaml to my colleagues
in my research lab. They are working in the telecommunication and
power electronic sectors, mainly doing signal processing and
simulations. I know OCaml[1] but not specifically those domains.

Therefore, I'm looking for reusable material for a presentation:
 - Slides on the use of OCaml in the signal processing and simulation domains;

 - Code snippets of OCaml used in scientific computing or simulation,
typically for advocacy like "it takes 10 lines in OCaml to do this,
you would use 50 lines in C++ to do the same thing";

 - Evidence of *actual use* of OCaml for scientific computing or
simulation, especially regarding usable libraries, bindings, etc.

 - Evidence of people having switched from C/C++ simulators to OCaml
ones : good and bad points, issues, things to look at, etc.

 - My colleagues are working a lot with Mathlab, is there any synergy
there (bindings, ways to integrate Mathlab within OCaml code or vice
versa, ...)?

You can reply to me on this list or off list. In case of personal
reply, let me know if I can reuse your name and affiliation.

If this presentation is done, I'll make the slides available under a
free license.

Many thanks in advance for any pointer,
Best regards,
david

[1] For both OCaml's strong (typing, GC, efficiency, ...) and bad
(strange syntax, ...) points.