* [Caml-list] packing Ocaml standard library into Std "namespace"
@ 2002-08-24 21:42 Dmitry Bely
From: Dmitry Bely @ 2002-08-24 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Ocaml 3.05 and above introduces new packing facility (ocamlc "-pack"
option). What do you think of using it to pack all Ocaml standard modules
into one big Std module so that the user code could use them as
Std.List.something, Std.Array.something etc. (having an analog of C++
std:: namespace)?

Of course, the old "flat" standard modules should also be left in the
distribution to preserve existing code compatibility, but their direct use
will be deprecated (or not recommended).

I think this will help us reduce the name clash dramatically. E.g. I have
just discovered that I cannot modify ocamlild compiler to use Array.of_list
somethere inside, because it already contains array.ml source file, that
overlaps standard Array module. Having Std module, I just would write
Std.Array.of_string there.

How do you think, does this make any sense?

- Dmitry Bely