* [announce] ocamlscript 1.0
@ 2005-08-22 22:51 David MENTRE
From: David MENTRE @ 2005-08-22 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

I've just released ocamlscript 1.0. ocamlscript is the very very small
implementation of a simple idea: write shell-like scripts on a Unix
system but in OCaml and optimized for speed.

For example, you can have a file with following content:

--start execute-n-times--
#!./ocamlscript unix.cmxa

let times = int_of_string (Sys.argv.(1))
let program = Sys.argv.(2)

let _ =
  for i = 1 to times do
    ignore(Unix.system program)
  done;

  exit 0
--end execute-n-times--

And execute this script as:
 ./execute-n-times 10 'echo Hello world!'

When this script is executed ("./execute-n-times"), the first time it is
compiled into native code ("./execute-n-times.opt") and then
executed. At second execution, the native code is executed
immediately. Of course, if the original script is modified, the native
code version is automatically recompiled.

A nice project (and from where the original idea of ocamlscript comes
from) would be to do a Linux distribution where all usual shell scripts
are replaced by ocamlscript scripts. I probably won't do it. ;)

Source: http://www.linux-france.org/~dmentre/code/ocamlscript-1.0.tar.gz

License: Public Domain

Have fun! ;)
d.
--
pub  1024D/A3AD7A2A 2004-10-03 David MENTRE <dmentre@linux-france.org>
 5996 CC46 4612 9CA4 3562  D7AC 6C67 9E96 A3AD 7A2A

* Re: [announce] ocamlscript 1.0
@ 2005-08-23  4:14 ` Geoffrey Alan Washburn
From: Geoffrey Alan Washburn @ 2005-08-23  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

David MENTRE wrote:

> I've just released ocamlscript 1.0. ocamlscript is the very very small
> implementation of a simple idea: write shell-like scripts on a Unix
> system but in OCaml and optimized for speed.

	How does this differ from CasH (http://pauillac.inria.fr/cash/)? I've
actually been writing a number of my shell scripts with it recently.

* Re: [announce] ocamlscript 1.0
@ 2005-08-23  9:52   ` David MENTRE
From: David MENTRE @ 2005-08-23  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

2005/8/23, Geoffrey Alan Washburn <geoffw@cis.upenn.edu>:
>         How does this differ from CasH (http://pauillac.inria.fr/cash/)? I've
> actually been writing a number of my shell scripts with it recently.

It's been a long time that I haven't looked at Bruno's work but as far
as I remember, cash tries to provide all the facilities of a shell,
like program control, redirections, etc.

My program is much more simple: it only takes as input regular OCaml programs.

Yours,
david