* [ANN] ocamlscript 1.1
@ 2005-10-03 19:06 David MENTRE
From: David MENTRE @ 2005-10-03 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

I've just released version 1.1 of ocamlscript. Changes:

 - the temporary copy of the original script contains proper reference
   to original source so line number and script name is correct in case
   of error (suggestion of Mike Lin);

 - change license to a BSD-like one. Apparently Public Domain imposes
   restriction of Software redistribution on a different medium. The new
   license should allow to use the software for about any use.

The source can be found at:
 http://www.linux-france.org/~dmentre/code/ocamlscript-1.1.tar.gz

To know what ocamlscript is, see my original post:
 http://caml.inria.fr/pub/ml-archives/caml-list/2005/08/aacc3ed731893e25d53d8c97ff6941a0.fr.html

Yours,
d.
--
pub  1024D/A3AD7A2A 2004-10-03 David MENTRE <dmentre@linux-france.org>
 5996 CC46 4612 9CA4 3562  D7AC 6C67 9E96 A3AD 7A2A

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] ocamlscript 1.1
@ 2005-10-03 21:00 ` Martin Jambon
From: Martin Jambon @ 2005-10-03 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David MENTRE; +Cc: caml-list

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005, David MENTRE wrote:

> I've just released version 1.1 of ocamlscript.
[...]

I think it's a great idea, but I have a couple of questions:
- how do you specify more than one library (on my OS everything that
follows #!/path/to/ocamlscript is treated as only one argument)?
- could packages be loaded with ocamlfind so that we don't have to worry
about dependencies, -I flags and camlp4 libraries?

Personnally, I would really appreciate if could write a script is a style
like this:

------------
#!/usr/bin/ocamlscript
# packs = micmatch_pcre lacaml lablgtk
(* my program starts here, the first line which doesn't start with a # *)
let _ = print_endline "Hello"
------------

or maybe more like that:

------------
#!/usr/bin/ocamlscript

(*! packs = micmatch_pcre lacaml lablgtk *)

(* only the first ocaml comment is parsed by ocamlscript, if there is no
code before and starts with ! *)

let _ = print_endline "Hello"
------------

Martin

--
Martin Jambon, PhD         http://martin.jambon.free.fr
Freedom for the regexps!   http://martin.jambon.free.fr/micmatch-howto.html

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] ocamlscript 1.1
@ 2005-10-04  7:57   ` David MENTRE
From: David MENTRE @ 2005-10-04  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jambon; +Cc: David MENTRE, caml-list

Hello Martin,

2005/10/3, Martin Jambon <martin_jambon@emailuser.net>:
> - how do you specify more than one library (on my OS everything that
> follows #!/path/to/ocamlscript is treated as only one argument)?

Yes, I have the same behavior on my system (Linux). But multiple
arguments are correctly interpreted (I just checked it).

The multiple arguments are seen as a single argument by ocamlscript
(i.e. the behaviour you observed) but, as the compilation command is
done through a Unix.system call, the underlying shell re-interprets
arguments through space separations.

> - could packages be loaded with ocamlfind so that we don't have to worry
> about dependencies, -I flags and camlp4 libraries?

Well, this software is quite short (about 100 lines) and is more a
proof of concept than expected to solve all cases. In other words, I
don't plan to invest much time in it. But it is free software and
patches are welcome. ;-)

Yours,
d.