From: olczyk@interaccess.com (Thaddeus L. Olczyk)
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] List of libraries.
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 23:29:38 +0000 (GMT)	[thread overview]

On Sun, 29 Sep 2002 11:05:46 +0200, Remi VANICAT
<vanicat@labri.u-bordeaux.fr> wrote:

>olczyk@interaccess.com (Thaddeus L. Olczyk) writes:
>
>> I'm now setting up my Caml installations.
>> One thing that I've noticed is that often times when you
>> suddenly need a package ( say something to do computational geometry
>> ), it becomes a pain to set it up.
>>
>> So what I would like to do is install everything upfront, including
>> common libraries that I am likely to need sooner or later.
>> ( Really esoteric libraries can be left off ).
>>
>> So I looked through the VisualWorks 7 ( Smalltalk ) installation,
>> which generally comes with about 95% of the VW libraries out there
>> ( 95% of the noncommercial libraries of course ), looked through the
>> libraries and tried to come up with a similar list of Caml.
>>
>> Below I present my half-finished list.
>
>[...]
>
>two list exist on the internet : the humps http://caml.inria.fr/humps/
>and the  The Objective Caml Link Database :
>http://www.npc.de/ocaml/linkdb/frames.html

I'm not just asking what is available. I'm asking something more.
Specifically I am asking what is needed by someone doing general
tasks, which libraries work best and what approaches to these topics
work best with Caml. Also what topics I may be missing.

>by the way there is a beginner list. You should ask such question
>there (see at the end of any message on this list to know how to
>subscribe to it). You should also try to search in the archives for
>all question that may have already be answered
It  should  be mentioned on www.ocaml.org. In fact that
mailing list should be more prominently mentioned since
the expectation is that most people visiting are relative
newbies.

Also I don't think the whole question is newbie oriented.
Since I'm asking for opinions some of the topics can border
on advanced ( for example: parsers the Caml way ).