* [Caml-list] Opam packages and CI
@ 2019-04-09 18:14 Helmut Brandl
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Helmut Brandl @ 2019-04-09 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml users

Hello list,

I would like to run some continuous integration like travis ci on my opam package. Unfortunately ocaml is not supported directly by travis. But I have found the GitHub repository ocaml/ocaml-ci-scripts and some instructions on how to use it.

My questions:

- Is this a stable form on how to use travis with ocaml?

- Are there experiences and are they good?

- Why has this solution been chosen instead of integrating ocaml support directly into travis?

- Isn’t the solution an overkill, because it requires a complete opam and ocaml installation on the travis machines in order to test an opam package? Isn’t there the risk that travis might block this form of usage in the future?

- Is there a better method to use CI with ocaml?

Thanks
Helmut

* Re: [Caml-list] Opam packages and CI
@ 2019-04-09 18:49 ` Simon Cruanes
From: Simon Cruanes @ 2019-04-09 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Helmut Brandl; +Cc: caml users

I've had good experiences with travis recently, using the docker script
(an example here:
https://github.com/c-cube/iter/blob/master/.travis.yml).

if your package is opam 2-friendly it's just a matter of a local pin
and a few switches. there are other options (variables, really) to
install extra deps or deal with optional deps.

It's not particularly overkill since it just starts with a docker image
with pre-installed opam switches.

--
Simon Cruanes

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [Caml-list] Opam packages and CI
@ 2019-04-09 18:54   ` Daniil Baturin
From: Daniil Baturin @ 2019-04-09 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Apparently all it takes to add a "proper" Travis integration is three
people and some Ruby code.

https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/languages/community-supported-languages/#adding-a-new-language
https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-build/blob/master/spec/build/script/haskell_spec.rb

I don't have a Ruby experience myself though so I can hardly volunteer.

@ 2019-04-09 21:36 ` Anil Madhavapeddy
From: Anil Madhavapeddy @ 2019-04-09 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Helmut Brandl; +Cc: caml users

On 9 Apr 2019, at 19:14, Helmut Brandl <helmut.brandl@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I would like to run some continuous integration like travis ci on my opam package. Unfortunately ocaml is not supported directly by travis. But I have found the GitHub repository ocaml/ocaml-ci-scripts and some instructions on how to use it.

Dear Helmut,

> My questions:
>
> - Is this a stable form on how to use travis with ocaml?
>
> - Are there experiences and are they good?

Last I checked, there were over 400 repositories on GitHub using ocaml-ci-scripts.  It's pretty stable.

> - Why has this solution been chosen instead of integrating ocaml support directly into travis?

Why do you need direct integration with Travis?  The use of the Docker support has made the necessity for that essentially obsolete.

See, for example:
https://github.com/mirage/ocaml-cohttp/blob/master/.travis.yml <https://github.com/mirage/ocaml-cohttp/blob/master/.travis.yml>

in cohttp, which uses Travis and Docker to test the libraries on a variety of Linux distributions.

> - Isn’t the solution an overkill, because it requires a complete opam and ocaml installation on the travis machines in order to test an opam package? Isn’t there the risk that travis might block this form of usage in the future?
>
> - Is there a better method to use CI with ocaml?

This solution is pretty good for most people. I'd encourage you to give it a try, and to contribute back any improvements or feature requests you might have after trying it out for a while.

regards,
Anil

* Re: [Caml-list] Opam packages and CI
@ 2019-04-10 14:20 ` Louis Roché
From: Louis Roché @ 2019-04-10 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> - Is this a stable form on how to use travis with ocaml?

There is auto-ci that can be used to generate travis configuration relying on ocaml-ci-scripts.

https://github.com/yomimono/autoci

* Re: [Caml-list] Opam packages and CI
@ 2019-04-10 14:57   ` Helmut Brandl
From: Helmut Brandl @ 2019-04-10 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)