* [Caml-list] language shootout on win32
@ 2001-11-06 21:30 Chris Hecker
From: Chris Hecker @ 2001-11-06 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Somebody ported the shootout to win32, which is mostly interesting because you can compare vc to ocaml (instead of only gcc).  He seems to have some weirdness on his final scorecard, but here you go:

http://dada.perl.it/shootout/

Chris

* Re: [Caml-list] language shootout on win32
@ 2001-11-06 22:03 ` Markus Mottl
From: Markus Mottl @ 2001-11-06 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Hecker; +Cc: caml-list

On Tue, 06 Nov 2001, Chris Hecker wrote:
> Somebody ported the shootout to win32, which is mostly interesting
> because you can compare vc to ocaml (instead of only gcc).  He seems
> to have some weirdness on his final scorecard, but here you go:

The results are really pretty erroneous: Java on place 2?? Clicking on
its details sheet shows that this can impossibly be true: it's worse
than most languages on nearly every measure! I wonder how much Sun has
paid the author ;)

Well, it's probably just that the benchmark hasn't yet been correctly
ported.  For example, a couple of OCaml-entries are compiled wrongly and
therefore don't work. I hope things get fixed soon before some people
mistakenly believe that Java is the language of choice for discriminating
hackers...

Regards,
Markus Mottl

--
Markus Mottl                                             markus@oefai.at
Austrian Research Institute

* Re: [Caml-list] language shootout on win32
@ 2001-11-06 22:15   ` Chris Hecker
From: Chris Hecker @ 2001-11-06 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Mottl; +Cc: caml-list

>> because you can compare vc to ocaml (instead of only gcc).  He seems
>> to have some weirdness on his final scorecard, but here you go:
>The results are really pretty erroneous: Java on place 2??

Yeah, I think there's just a bug in his summation.  The individual results look reasonable.

Chris