From: Chris Hecker <checker@d6.com>
To: "Don Syme" <dsyme@microsoft.com>,
	"Xavier Leroy" <xavier.leroy@inria.fr>,
	"Vincent Foley" <vinfoley@iquebec.com>
Subject: RE: [Caml-list] F#
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2002 10:49:02 -0700	[thread overview]

>F# programs compiled for V1 of the CLR use the type "object" for all
>values of variable (i.e. 'a) type.  This is simple erasure.

Huh.  I must not understand the issues, because I thought it was harder
than this.  If you can just make 'a into objects, why were people
complaining that it's hard to make it work?  (Xavier called your work a
tour de force, and I thought I'd learn something by trying to understand
why.  But, I'm a relative beginner, and the research papers dive in deep
pretty quick.  :)

Also, what are the dlls that are installed?  When you say "compiled for V1
of the CLR", does that mean you have a bytecode file that will run anywhere
(like Java), or does it need the extension dlls to be installed?

I'm mostly just trying to figure out exactly what I could use F# for.  I
need to write an applet that runs on a webpage.  The applet it going to be
a stripped down version of a program I'm writing in caml.   The ultimate
thing for me would be ocaml code compiled onto the JVM, since it's
everywhere.  Ocaml compiled for the .net CLR would be an okay second place
since I assume the .net runtime will be close to everywhere
eventually.  Requiring people to install dlls is not quite as nice, but
still might be better than rewriting my app in java.

Hopefully the questions make sense?

Thanks,
Chris