From: Chris Hecker <checker@d6.com>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: [Caml-list] "-pack" on win32/msvc
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 12:02:19 -0700	[thread overview]

Hi, -pack is disabled on msvc builds because nm and objcopy are not
installed by default.  However, the cygwin nm and objcopy work on PE format
files (msvc objs, libs, and exes), so everything should work just fine
(perhaps you didn't know this, Xavier, or maybe you did know it and they're
broken in some nonobvious way?).  I enabled nm and objcopy in the config
files, rebuilt, and I've almost got it working (there's a "-o" that needs
to be turned into a "-out:" as a config.ml parm to link, but that's
minor).  The big problem is that when the pack.obj is made by asmpackager,
it includes the camlpackage tmp obj file created, so nm dumps out this
file's symbols as well.  But the camlpackage tmp is deleted after the
packed obj is made (around line 242 of 3.06 asmpackager.ml), so when
objcopy goes to do its thing in rename_in_object_file, it blows up because
that obj file is missing from the tmp dir.  I just now got access to a unix
machine to see how it works there, because it doesn't seem like this is an
msvc-specific problem, but I must admit to not knowing all the details of
the nm/objcopy step.

Anybody looked at this?

Chris