* OSX GUI
@ 2007-06-06 15:16 Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2007-06-06 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Is it possible to create native-OSX GUIs from OCaml code?

OCaml for Scientists
http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/ocaml_for_scientists/?e

* Re: [Caml-list] OSX GUI
@ 2007-06-06 15:26 ` Joel Reymont
       [not found]   ` <755FDE71-7ADC-4313-9D69-109BC6D834BE@valdosta.edu>
From: Joel Reymont @ 2007-06-06 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

On Jun 6, 2007, at 4:16 PM, Jon Harrop wrote:

> Is it possible to create native-OSX GUIs from OCaml code?

Not quite but there have been attempts. Googling for Cocoa in the
archives may help.

I'll pose a question of my own...

Is anyone using a MacBook (13") to hack OCaml all day? How do you
like it?

	Thanks, Joel

--
http://topdog.cc      - EasyLanguage to C# translator
http://wagerlabs.com  - Blog

* Re: [Caml-list] OSX GUI
@ 2007-06-06 17:46   ` Ralph Douglass
       [not found]   ` <755FDE71-7ADC-4313-9D69-109BC6D834BE@valdosta.edu>
From: Ralph Douglass @ 2007-06-06 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

I use SDL built from macports, with ocamlsdl built from godi (on my 13"
MacBook, which works quite well for me).  SDL isn't exactly a GUI toolkit
though, so you'd have to write your own widgets on top of it, or try to wrap
an existing set of sdl widgets written in C.

Ralph

On 6/6/07, Joel Reymont <joelr1@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 6, 2007, at 4:16 PM, Jon Harrop wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to create native-OSX GUIs from OCaml code?
>
> Not quite but there have been attempts. Googling for Cocoa in the
> archives may help.
>
> I'll pose a question of my own...
>
> Is anyone using a MacBook (13") to hack OCaml all day? How do you
> like it?
>
>         Thanks, Joel
>
> --
> http://topdog.cc      - EasyLanguage to C# translator
> http://wagerlabs.com  - Blog

Ralph

* Re: [Caml-list] OSX GUI
@ 2007-06-06 18:27 ` Bruno De Fraine
From: Bruno De Fraine @ 2007-06-06 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Harrop; +Cc: caml-list

On 06 Jun 2007, at 17:16, Jon Harrop wrote:
> Is it possible to create native-OSX GUIs from OCaml code?

Unison is an OCaml program with a native OSX GUI (as well as a GTK one).
However, it is basically an Objective C interface with an OCaml
binding. Nevertheless, it might help you.

See: http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/download/releases/
Look for the "uimac" and "uimacnew" subdirs inside the distribution.

Regards,
Bruno

--
Bruno De Fraine
Vrije Universiteit Brussel

* Re: [Caml-list] OSX GUI
       [not found]     ` <8ABE187D-314A-4FBC-AEDC-333AAA148058@gmail.com>
@ 2007-06-06 20:39       ` Jonathan Bryant
From: Jonathan Bryant @ 2007-06-06 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Reymont; +Cc: caml-list

On Jun 6, 2007, at 4:32 PM, Joel Reymont wrote:

> Jon,
>
>> MacBook + TextMate.  I personally love it :D
>
> Do you prefer TextMate's OCaml mode to that of Emacs?

It's OCaml mode usually works fine, but there are a few places it
messes up: the "with" record syntax is the most notable.  Mainly, I
like (a) the drawer with the file tree, (b) tabbed editing, (c) code
folding, (d) Cmd-whatever and menus instead of Ctrl-X Ctrl-S, Meta-
this, Alt-that, etc.  I was always a VIM guy instead of emacs, so I
never got the hang of emacs control sequences.  Downsides are that
(a) not programmable, and (b) you have to keep a terminal open to
build, etc.

You have to admit, when you buy a Mac, you're (at least partly)
paying for aesthetics.  TextMate takes advantage of those.  Now if I
could just find a terminal that did the same...

--Jonathan

> 	Thanks, Joel
>
> --
> http://topdog.cc      - EasyLanguage to C# translator
> http://wagerlabs.com  - Blog

* Re: [Caml-list] OSX GUI
@ 2007-06-07 15:21         ` William D. Neumann
From: William D. Neumann @ 2007-06-07 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Bryant; +Cc: Joel Reymont, caml-list

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007, Jonathan Bryant wrote:

>> Do you prefer TextMate's OCaml mode to that of Emacs?
>
> It's OCaml mode usually works fine, but there are a few places it messes up:
> the "with" record syntax is the most notable.

Yeah... unfortunately, the regex matching that the syntax hilighting is
based on hakes it hard to get certain constructs right.  I believe this is
supposed to be overhauled in v2.0 (which is dependant on Tiger).  BTW:
what's wrong with the with record syntax?  It seems to work fine for me.

> Downsides are that (a) not programmable, and (b) you have to keep a terminal
> open to build, etc.

Well, it is scriptable, so you could write a script that tould take care
of that for you.  Ocamlbuild should help make this a bit less painless as
well.

Actually, my biggest annoyance is that you can't easily do something like
jump to the ith character of a selection (though I could prabably write a
script for that too), which is needed for working with large exressions in
the toplevel where it identifies errors by location and not highlighting.

William D. Neumann

---

"There's just so many extra children, we could just feed the
children to these tigers.  We don't need them, we're not doing
anything with them.

Tigers are noble and sleek; children are loud and messy."

         -- Neko Case

Life is unfair.  Kill yourself or get over it.
 	-- Black Box Recorder

* Re: [Caml-list] OSX GUI
@ 2007-06-07 16:56           ` Jonathan Bryant
From: Jonathan Bryant @ 2007-06-07 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William D. Neumann; +Cc: caml-list

On Jun 7, 2007, at 11:21 AM, William D. Neumann wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Jun 2007, Jonathan Bryant wrote:
>
>>> Do you prefer TextMate's OCaml mode to that of Emacs?
>>
>> It's OCaml mode usually works fine, but there are a few places it
>> messes up: the "with" record syntax is the most notable.
>
> Yeah... unfortunately, the regex matching that the syntax
> hilighting is based on hakes it hard to get certain constructs
> right.  I believe this is supposed to be overhauled in v2.0 (which
> is dependant on Tiger).  BTW: what's wrong with the with record
> syntax?  It seems to work fine for me.

Copy this into TextMate:

type t = {
x : int;
y : float
}

let _ =
   let r = { x = 1; y = 1.0 } in
   let r' = { r with x = 2 } in
   (* ... Syntax highlighting has stopped working here ... *)

That's where it fails because of the "with".  It's the only obvious
bug I've run across, but if you have something like that early in the
code, the rest of your code is not highlighted.  Maybe I have an old
version of the bundle if you don't see this problem.

>> Downsides are that (a) not programmable, and (b) you have to keep
>> a terminal open to build, etc.
>
> Well, it is scriptable, so you could write a script that tould take
> care of that for you.  Ocamlbuild should help make this a bit less
> painless as well.
>
> Actually, my biggest annoyance is that you can't easily do
> something like jump to the ith character of a selection (though I
> could prabably write a script for that too), which is needed for
> working with large exressions in the toplevel where it identifies
> errors by location and not highlighting.
>
> William D. Neumann
>
> ---
>
> "There's just so many extra children, we could just feed the
> children to these tigers.  We don't need them, we're not doing
> anything with them.
>
> Tigers are noble and sleek; children are loud and messy."
>
>         -- Neko Case
>
> Life is unfair.  Kill yourself or get over it.
> 	-- Black Box Recorder

* Re: [Caml-list] OSX GUI
@ 2007-06-07 17:08             ` Ralph Douglass
From: Ralph Douglass @ 2007-06-07 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

It highlights fine for me.  Try grabbing the latest version of the bundle.

On 6/7/07, Jonathan Bryant <jtbryant@valdosta.edu> wrote:

> >> It's OCaml mode usually works fine, but there are a few places it
> >> messes up: the "with" record syntax is the most notable.
> >
> > Yeah... unfortunately, the regex matching that the syntax
> > hilighting is based on hakes it hard to get certain constructs
> > right.  I believe this is supposed to be overhauled in v2.0 (which
> > is dependant on Tiger).  BTW: what's wrong with the with record
> > syntax?  It seems to work fine for me.
>
> Copy this into TextMate:
>
> type t = {
> x : int;
> y : float
> }
>
> let _ =
>    let r = { x = 1; y = 1.0 } in
>    let r' = { r with x = 2 } in
>    (* ... Syntax highlighting has stopped working here ... *)
>
> That's where it fails because of the "with".  It's the only obvious
> bug I've run across, but if you have something like that early in the
> code, the rest of your code is not highlighted.  Maybe I have an old
> version of the bundle if you don't see this problem.
>

> >> Downsides are that (a) not programmable, and (b) you have to keep
> >> a terminal open to build, etc.
> >
> > Well, it is scriptable, so you could write a script that tould take
> > care of that for you.  Ocamlbuild should help make this a bit less
> > painless as well.
> >
> > Actually, my biggest annoyance is that you can't easily do
> > something like jump to the ith character of a selection (though I
> > could prabably write a script for that too), which is needed for
> > working with large exressions in the toplevel where it identifies
> > errors by location and not highlighting.
> >
> > William D. Neumann
> >
> > ---
> >
> > "There's just so many extra children, we could just feed the
> > children to these tigers.  We don't need them, we're not doing
> > anything with them.
> >
> > Tigers are noble and sleek; children are loud and messy."
> >
> >         -- Neko Case
> >
> > Life is unfair.  Kill yourself or get over it.
> >       -- Black Box Recorder

Ralph

* Re: [Caml-list] OSX GUI
@ 2007-06-07 17:16               ` Jonathan Bryant
From: Jonathan Bryant @ 2007-06-07 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralph Douglass; +Cc: caml-list

(I guess this is getting a bit off topic for this list, but I'll
press on anyway)

I just did with GetBundle and I'm still having the same problem.  Is
there any way to tell what version of the bundle I have so that I can
see if it is the latest version?  I can't seem to find that.

* Re: [Caml-list] OSX GUI
@ 2007-06-07 17:16             ` William D. Neumann
From: William D. Neumann @ 2007-06-07 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Bryant; +Cc: caml-list

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007, Jonathan Bryant wrote:

> Copy this into TextMate:
>
> type t = {
> x : int;
> y : float
> }
>
> let _ =
>  let r = { x = 1; y = 1.0 } in
>  let r' = { r with x = 2 } in
>  (* ... Syntax highlighting has stopped working here ... *)
>
> That's where it fails because of the "with".  It's the only obvious bug I've
> run across, but if you have something like that early in the code, the rest
> of your code is not highlighted.  Maybe I have an old version of the bundle
> if you don't see this problem.

It works fine here, you must have an old version of the bundle.  You
should do an svn up to grab the latest changes.

William D. Neumann

---

@ 2007-06-07 17:33                 ` Ralph Douglass
From: Ralph Douglass @ 2007-06-07 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I'm not sure, but I recommend getting it from subversion.  I had problems
with it when I used getbundle, so I went back to checking out the bundles
with subversion.  You might also want to install cmigrep (it's in godi) in
order to use the ocaml experimental completions bundle.

Ralph

* Re: [Caml-list] OSX GUI
@ 2007-06-07 17:40                 ` William D. Neumann
From: William D. Neumann @ 2007-06-07 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Bryant; +Cc: Ralph Douglass, caml-list

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007, Jonathan Bryant wrote:

> (I guess this is getting a bit off topic for this list, but I'll press on
> anyway)
>
> I just did with GetBundle and I'm still having the same problem.  Is there
> any way to tell what version of the bundle I have so that I can see if it is
> the latest version?  I can't seem to find that.

Well, I'm assuming that getBundle is using subversion to manage the
bundles (I just use svn).  In which case, something like:

svn info ~/Library/Application\Support/TextMate/Bundles/OCaml.tmbundle

will tell you your current version (assuming that's the path to your
bundle -- change as necessary).

The current revision is 7453, and the OCaml bundle was last changed in
revision 7410.

William D. Neumann

---

@ 2007-06-07 20:41                   ` Jonathan Bryant
From: Jonathan Bryant @ 2007-06-07 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William D. Neumann; +Cc: caml-list

> Well, I'm assuming that getBundle is using subversion to manage the
> bundles (I just use svn).  In which case, something like:
>
> svn info ~/Library/Application\Support/TextMate/Bundles/OCaml.tmbundle
>
> will tell you your current version (assuming that's the path to
> your bundle -- change as necessary).
>
> The current revision is 7453, and the OCaml bundle was last changed
> in revision 7410.

Ah, yes.  That fixed it :)