* [Caml-list] Looking for OCaml code to load & save XML files
@ 2004-02-28 13:44 David MENTRE
From: David MENTRE @ 2004-02-28 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

I'm looking for OCaml code to manipulate XML files. More specifically,
I'm looking for code that can:

 1. save and load XML files from/to OCaml data structure[1];

 2. validate the files against a DTD and maybe an XML schema;

 3. (might be contradictory to 2) allow unknown XML tags to be skipped
    for forward and backward compatibility;

 4. have a license compatible with GNU GPL.

We intend to use XML as a backup format to save and restore a kind of
database. In the long term, the XML files could be quite big (several
tens of megabyte).

Because the current program is still under development, I would like to
provide forward and backward compatibility. More specifically, I would
like to allow my program to skip unknown tags, so that I could enhance
the database while still loading old and new bases.

I think I might also use the library to transform from one version of my
DTD to a new version, as the database format evolve. So I might need to
write ad-hoc tools for XML transformation.

I've found on the Hump a lot of XML libraries for OCaml so I ask on this
mailing list advices from their authors and users on which one could
fulfill my requirements.

Moreover, I'm new to XML. So if somebody has advices on how to
accomplish my goals, I would be pleased to hear them.

Many thanks in advance,
Yours,
david
--