* [Caml-list] merging .cmxa files?
@ 2001-09-02 19:55 Michael Hicks
From: Michael Hicks @ 2001-09-02 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I apologize if there is an obvious answer to this question somewhere,
but I couldn't find it in the documentation or the archive:

Is there a way to merge two .cmxa files into a single .cmxa file?  I'd
like to combine my library with someone else's to simplify the linking
procedure.

Mike

* Re: [Caml-list] merging .cmxa files?
@ 2001-09-18 13:50 ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2001-09-18 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hicks; +Cc: caml-list

> I apologize if there is an obvious answer to this question somewhere,
> but I couldn't find it in the documentation or the archive:
>
> Is there a way to merge two .cmxa files into a single .cmxa file?

ocamlc -a can do that in the case of .cma libraries.  ocamlopt -a
could do it also if it were not for the stubbornness of the underlying
"ar" command (which is used to group together the .o files containing
the actual code for the Caml modules in the library): "ar" cannot
combine several .a files into one.

So, currently, I don't see how this can be done, save by significant
hacking in / around "ar".

- Xavier Leroy

* Re: [Caml-list] merging .cmxa files?
@ 2001-09-18 14:32   ` Markus Mottl
From: Markus Mottl @ 2001-09-18 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Leroy; +Cc: Michael Hicks, caml-list

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Xavier Leroy wrote:
> So, currently, I don't see how this can be done, save by significant
> hacking in / around "ar".

The usual workaround is to extract the "ar"-archive into a directory of
object files. Then make any relevant changes there, e.g. remove object
files, add them, extract another archive into the directory. Now you can
put all the objects you need into a new "ar"-archive.  I really don't
understand why functionality for merging isn't directly provided by
"ar"...

Regards,
Markus Mottl

--