* [Caml-list] swapping large data structures from/to files
@ 2004-04-08 14:51 Sebastien Ferre
From: Sebastien Ferre @ 2004-04-08 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi Caml-ists,

I am interested in handling so large data structures
that they don't fit in main memory. I need 2 things:

1. Persistency of the data structure, preferably in
a file (similarly to NDBM, say).

2. Customized swapping strategy of elements of the data
structure, what should be more efficient than the
virtual memory.

Typically, my data structure is a DAG, and I wish to
keep in memory only a limited amount of nodes at a time.
Hence the necessaty for swapping. It is also important
to have as much as possible in memory, and not merely
accessing the file, for efficiency reasons.

Has anything be done in this direction ?
The library Dbm is fine to me for the persistency,
but it does not work on every platform :-(.
( Would Dbm be difficult to rewrite in OCaml ?)

Thanks,
Sébastien Ferré