* Re: [Caml-list] Re: scalable web apps
@ 2010-07-26 13:45 Dario Teixeira
From: Dario Teixeira @ 2010-07-26 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sylvain Le Gall, William Le Ferrand; +Cc: caml-list

Hi,

> Why would you use ocsigen to serve static files?

Simplicity.  A single server takes care of dynamic and static content,
making it easy to develop and administer.

> For corefarm.com we put all the files in amazon s3 and we just generate
> on the fly the url to retrieve them (adding the timestamp, signing the
> get parameters etc).

Yes, S3 is awesome, but I reckon it would be overkill for what Sylvain has
in mind.  Moreover, it does represent an extra -- albeit small -- cost.

Cheers,
Dario Teixeira

* Re: [Caml-list] scalable web apps
@ 2010-07-26 11:20 Dario Teixeira
From: Dario Teixeira @ 2010-07-26 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Reymont, Richard Jones; +Cc: caml-list

Hi,

> > How does Ocsigen handle database operations?
>
> I thought it was using PG'OCaml, but maybe I'm wrong.

Ocsigen itself does not use PG'OCaml.  The two are frequently associated
because the latest versions of PG'OCaml are Lwt-friendly and therefore
a good choice for Ocsigen apps.  (Note that internally, Ocsigen uses
either Dbm or Sqlite to store session data).

Cheers,
Dario Teixeira

* Re: scalable web apps
@ 2010-07-26  9:11 Sylvain Le Gall
From: Sylvain Le Gall @ 2010-07-26  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

On 25-07-2010, Dario Teixeira <darioteixeira@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The only circumstance where I would be cautious on relying solely on a
> naked Ocsigen is if you are also required to serve plenty of static content
> (images, etc).  Even though Ocsigen includes an extension for serving static
> pages, for hysterical reasons no Unix supports non-blocking mode for regular
> files, which of course causes problems for Lwt-apps (see the Lwt manual for
> more information on this).  Therefore, in this context you may get better
> results by having another server (like Nginx) dedicated to static content.

I am creating an application with ocsigen that requires to serve a lot
of .tar.gz as static contents.

Do you think the "no Unix supports non-blocking mode" will cause problem
in this case?

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall