I forward this last mail to the caml-list since I forgot to "replay-all" before ... Benjamin Geer a écrit : > Olivier Grisel wrote: > >> I feel very sorry butI wasn't aware of the origin of this "Joe Camel" >> think. > > > It was a huge, very controversial advertising campaign... a lot of > people were (and still are) very angry about it, all over the world. > >> I can remove the grass bit to try to break the association with the >> Joe Camel. >> >> What do you think ? > > > I don't think it would help. The shape of the camel face (even without > the sunglasses) is what makes it Joe Camel. This was the intention of > the OCaml team when they chose this logo, apparently as a joke (in very > bad taste, I think). > > I think OCaml needs a completely new logo. > > The problem of how to make it different from the Perl logo is > interesting. Actually O'Reilly has a trademark on the use of a camel to > represent a programming language: > > http://perl.oreilly.com/usage > > I asked them about this last year, and they said they currently had no > position on the use of a camel to represent the OCaml language. I don't > know whether they might eventually cause trouble. You might want to ask > them about it. > > Another alternative would be to make a logo that doesn't represent a > camel at all. I agree. Anybody has a better idea ? What could symobolize the ocaml programming language ? OReilly seems to think a horse[1] might do, but I'm not quite so sure :o) [1] http://web.linuxfr.org/2001/03/05/2585.html Best, -- Olivier