From: Martin Boeker <martin.boeker@uniklinik-freiburg.de>
To: Christophe Raffalli <Christophe.Raffalli@univ-savoie.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Cygwin now has ocaml 3.08.1
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 11:01:17 +0200	[thread overview]

Christophe Raffalli wrote:

> Is it a pure cygwin or cygwin_mingw build of ocaml ?

This is a pure Cygwin port. The package works fine - I tested it.

Oddly, the paths of the bin and lib branches (the --prefix configure
option) are not set the Cygwin standard way so that they land in
/usr/bin and /usr/lib (ususally /usr/local ...).

It's a pure Ocaml distribution (3.08.1); all other needed packages have
to be build separately - for my part (working a lot under Cygwin) the
GODI (G. Stolpmann) distribution is a better solution.

Perhaps, this Ocaml Cygwin distribution could be enhanced by adding
further packages to a common library package (could be: equeue, expat,
extlib, findlib, getopt, netclient, dbm, graphic, ocamlmakefile,
ocamlnet, pxp, wlex, ulex, xstr, oreilly ocaml book), further an
experimental lablgtk2 package. Also the mysql and postgres bindings
would be nice (that seems to be tricky).

This would promote the use of Ocaml in the Win-World. The Cygwin
distribution has developed very positively in the last months and is
very useful for people forced to work under Win.