* Re: [Fwd: Re: [Caml-list] Cygwin now has ocaml 3.08.1]
       [not found] ` <Pine.GSO.4.61.0409022106200.10558@slinky.cs.nyu.edu>
@ 2004-09-03  9:37   ` Martin Boeker
From: Martin Boeker @ 2004-09-03  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Martin Boeker wrote:
>
>> Oddly, the paths of the bin and lib branches (the --prefix configure
>> option) are not set the Cygwin standard way so that they land in
>
>              ^^^
>
>> /usr/bin and /usr/lib (ususally /usr/local ...).
>

> One quick question: is the "not" above (underlined) a typo, or did you
> mean to say that?  Unless it's a typo, it's a bit confusing.
>     Igor

No, that was not a typo, but your are right, I had problems with my
Cygwin mount points (this automatic mounting in the Cygwin setup scripts).

The other question is about the GODI distribution which I don't think is
intended to be compared to CPAN but would like to make ocaml and library
distribution easier and in a kind standardized
(http://www.ocaml-programming.de/godi/). For Cygwin beginners this
procedures of building Ocaml and then Ocaml libraries from source could
be in a way to difficult or "tedious" before they could use Ocaml.

So, my idea about creation of a Cygwin Ocaml library package wasn't
meant to include GODI in this package. But, GODI could be an example of
what libraries are important for other developers. Actually, GODI shows
which libraries can be built relatively easily under Cygwin.

Personally, I'm using the libraries around the pxp XML Parser from G.
Stolpmann (PCRE, findlib, ocamlnet, wlex, pxp) and I can remember what
problems I had in the beginning to build PCRE-Ocaml (STATIC=1 and so on;
even more in the times the Cygwin-PCRE package wasn't updated). Without
PCRE-Ocaml nothing would work, so I was stuck. I think for beginners and
even for every developer in OCaml (Cygwin) a Cygwin package including
such libraries would be very valuable.

Martin

only message in thread, other threads:[~2004-09-03  9:38 UTC | newest]