From: "chris.danx" <chris.danx@ntlworld.com>
To: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@indiegamedesign.com>
Cc: caml <caml-list@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] build tools with critical mass?
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 03:02:02 +0100	[thread overview]

Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> The discussion of build technologies is amusing... I can imagine all
> sorts of wonderful problems I might try to solve, if only I didn't have
> more pressing problems to solve.  :-)  The problem I'm more interested
> in solving is deploying OCaml to a greater number of people.

I don't think you can promote a language using a funky a build tool to
people convincingly, other than by rule of law.  The only way (IMO) that
a language can be sold is by writing software in it to solve real
problems (or problems that people percieve to be necessary or cool, even
if they're not).

I pass over language marketting and zealots all the time on the web (of
which there are literally millions).  It's not interesting and is
actually quite a turn off!  There are lots of functional concurrent lazy
languages out there but I'm not interested in functional programming,
demand driven execution or concurrency for it's own sake, more solving
problems appropriately (I use OCaml alot because it allows the most
scope in design solutions with good speed performance when speed
matters.  For distributed problems I'll use Oz or erlang, probably Oz
morem again because of the flexibility in design).

Ocaml will get noticed from software written in it!  Even if most of the
end users don't know it's written in Ocaml, the users who are also
programmers may.  This seems to be the key to the success of a language,
solving real problems in real software with noticable abundance.  So
long as the language is consistent with itself (or mostly) it doesn't
really matter how nice it is (although this has been changing over the
past 15 years, more attention is paid to languages that stop the
programmer messing up in disasterous yet simple ways).

You can talk about how to popularise a language until doomsday (lots of
people do) but talking isn't doing.  What is the point in marketing a
language anyway?  Sun and M$ do it to make money.  Other than that I
don't get it.  What does it do for you as a developer?  (I understand
why the language designer would - there are many different reasons - but
don't get what a language user gets out of it).

It has taken me a while to find languages that fit my needs, but the
more languages I learned the more it became obvious that so long as a
language doesn't pigeon hole a problem into an innappropriate design
solution the language is usuable for that problem.  Of course it maybe
that some part of the implementation is not desirable in which case you
either make do or find something else. e.g. mOzart/Oz isn't natively
compiled and doesn't have the performance I need for graphics apps, but
it is suitable for distributed or concurrent applications.  Ocaml is my
choice for graphics because of it provides good performance and doesn't
pigeon hole the problem to an "imperative", "object orientated" or
"functional" solution.  You get the flexibility of combinationn of
almost all the models in "Concepts, Techniques and Models of Computer
Programming" with the slight loss of some of techniques (which may or
may not be relevant to a problem - it's a trade off), but speed too
which is appropriate for the *current problem*.

Hopping between languages looking for the magic catch all solution is
folly.  Eventually you have to stop and pick one appropriate otherwise
nothing get's done.  If you keep going and don't realise it's the
concepts that matter you may never stop.  Once I realised what was
really important, the choice of language was much easier - I stopped
brute forcing it and made an informed search so to speak.  The
popularity of a language isn't a major factor anymore and I now don't
get the "market the language I use thing".  There are more important
things to be getting on with, like developing software and going out on
the pull.

I would like a nice build aid as would many people, but it's not a
crucial language selling point.

> Several years down the road, maybe the more experimental build tools
> will gain enough adherants that they might become a basis for
> industrialization of OCaml.  But right now, I think we need something
> that's closer to being ready for prime time.  That, in my book, means
> it's been used by a pile of people and the results are encouraging.  So,
> what build tools fit this criterion?

I'm getting by with OcamlConf just now.  It handles the problem of
configuring a build and doing so is less painful than autoconf/automake
or SCons.  Not sure about omake, but will look at it later.

Chris