SooHyoung Oh wrote: >I've followed wxHaskell method and implemented some of widgets >with Ocaml. >Implementing all of widgets of wxEiffel C wrapper requires much time, >so I'm finding more systematic method. > >Can you give me more hints about your comments about >how to generate Ocaml binding using wxDirect? > > Well, I think I would rewrite wxDirect -- it is not that much work to do this for OCaml (maybe 3 days?). Anyway, wxDirect takes a C header file that contains *all* wxWidgets wrapper declarations and creates Haskell signatures from them. As described in the paper, the C header file is somewhat special as it contains a lot of extra type information (in the form of macros) that you need to generate a proper marshaller. The C header is thus a poor-mans IDL. We can get away with this, as the number of types and marshalling required is really simple for wxWidges, it is basically integers and pointers to objects: no structures, arrays, general pointers, or nested types. Anyway, I would also advice you to contact the student I mentioned in my previous mail -- unfortunately I forgot his name (Francois ?) I think he is a student of Didier Remy? (or at least another well-known French computer scientist). Anyhow, he made a lot of progress with a wxOCaml binding and from his mails I got the impression that he did a thorough job. I think it can save a lot of work to start from his library. All the best, Daan Leijen. >Thanks. > >----- Original Message ----- >From: "Daan Leijen" >To: "Caml Mailing List" >Sent: Friday, September 17, 2004 7:00 AM >Subject: Re: [Caml-list] WxWidgets? > > > > >>Hi all, >> >>I have created a binding from Haskell to wxWidgets, called wxHaskell. >>You can find more information (and nice screenshots) at >> >>There is also a paper about it at >> >>I also know that there is a student in France that has made a lot of >>progress >>on an O'Caml binding to wxWidgets (as he contacted me a few times >>about technical issues). He also used the wxEiffel C wrapper (that >> >> >wxHaskell > > >>uses) >> >>Personally, I am very impressed with wxWidgets: wxHaskell works >>very well across the main platforms (MacosX, Windows, and GTK) >>and is quite stable. It is also nice that wxWidgets uses native controls >>on each platform, giving an application native look-and-feel. >> >>A particularly pragmatic route to implementing a wxWidgets binding >>to wxHaskell would adapt the wxDirect program of wxHaskell to generate >>O'Caml bindings and just copy the wxHaskell model -- it would fit O'Caml >>quite well, especially when OCaml objects are used to model the C++ >> >> >classes. > > >>Anyway, I hope this helps, >>All the best, >> Daan Leijen. >> >>[ps. I probably won't respond to this thread anymore as I am going to >>ICFP.] >> >>------------------- >>To unsubscribe, mail caml-list-request@inria.fr Archives: >> >> >http://caml.inria.fr > > >>Bug reports: http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs FAQ: >> >> >http://caml.inria.fr/FAQ/ > > >>Beginner's list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ocaml_beginners >> >> >> >> > >------------------- >To unsubscribe, mail caml-list-request@inria.fr Archives: http://caml.inria.fr >Bug reports: http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs FAQ: http://caml.inria.fr/FAQ/ >Beginner's list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ocaml_beginners > > > >