* native code and ZINC machine
@ 2004-11-05 14:25 Aaron Bohannon
From: Aaron Bohannon @ 2004-11-05 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I was quite surprised, recently, when I found out that the native code
compiler implements left-to-right evaulation, as opposed to the
right-to-left evaulation of the bytecode.  [NB: My question is not about
trying to write code that is dependent on the order of arguments.]

You see, I am quite familiar with the ZINC machine and the benefits of
its design, and I thought that the design could be adapted in some way
or another to the native code setting.  I am interested in finding out
what factors prevented this, or what made the ZINC machine execution
model impractical in the native runtime.  My knowledge of systems is
perhaps somewhat weak, so maybe I am overlooking some obvious point.

I have googled for papers and discussions, and poked around the obvious
websites looking for answers, but I must have missed something.  Any
pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.

Aaron Bohannon